taking people fishing

I take friends and family fishing and some times they want to take some body along with us whether it is one of there friends or family members should I be having them sign something saying iam not liable if they should get hurt in any way looking forward to hear your opinions thanks

Jerry

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Well if you have liability coverage on your boat your fine. No different than an observer coming on your boat for a tourney. Those tourneys require you to carry it for participation. I have been at some marinas prior to being a charter capt that told me I am responsable for the people as soon as they stepped out of the car.. now that I am a charter operater my coverage starts when they get out of the car at the marina. You have to talk with your insurance agent about it. I have a good lawyer friend who has told me waivers aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Yep - waivers don't negate any rights assigned by law. Had a lawyer review an old landlord agreement I'd signed and he got a chuckle out of all the rights the landlord wanted me to think I no longer had.

Well if you have liability coverage on your boat your fine. No different than an observer coming on your boat for a tourney. Those tourneys require you to carry it for participation. I have been at some marinas prior to being a charter capt that told me I am responsable for the people as soon as they stepped out of the car.. now that I am a charter operater my coverage starts when they get out of the car at the marina. You have to talk with your insurance agent about it. I have a good lawyer friend who has told me waivers aren't worth the paper they are written on.

So Brian... That means when I fell out of your boat and landed on the dock like I got shot by a sniper, then ran the charter with broken ribs and hurt feelings, I can still sue you to get my X-large coffee replaced?? :lol:

Now that's a case....cops can't live without x large coffee, never mind the ribs and feelings...good thing there wasn't a krispy kreme involved. :razz:

Lol

Was that the dock with the chalk outline of a donut drawn on it!!!! :lol:

I take friends and family fishing and some times they want to take some body along with us whether it is one of there friends or family members should I be having them sign something saying iam not liable if they should get hurt in any way looking forward to hear your opinions thanks

Jerry

:thinking:

:wait: ....do you have people sign wavers when they get into your car? :worried:

Well if have liability coverage on your boat your fine. No different than an observer coming on your boat for a tourney. Those tourneys require you to carry it for participation. I have been at some marinas prior to being a charter capt that told me I am responsable for the people as soon as they stepped out of the car.. now that I am a charter operater my coverage starts when they get out of the car at the marina. You have to talk with your insurance agent about it. I have a good lawyer friend who has told me waivers aren't worth the paper they are written on.

So Brian... That means when I fell out of your boat and landed on the dock like I got shot by a sniper, then ran the charter with broken ribs and hurt feelings, I can still sue you to get my X-large coffee replaced?? :lol:

Pete, I think the statute of limitations has run out on that coffee!

One good thing about a waiver is it may protect you against a small claim because the person will/may think: "I signed a waiver, i can't sue for the hook in my chin" so the lawyer is never called and end of story.

On the other hand if that hook took a eye out the person will most likely be contacting the lawyer and game over.

Best bet, get insured, discuss this question with your agent and be careful. If you decide not to get insured please stay on the east side of the lake so Glenn can deal with you!!!

Thats why when someone gets hurt on my boat, first thing I do is toss um overboard.

No more issues. :lol:

Only lost a couple so far. :yes:

Glen

Too bad Richard learned how to swim. He's like a bad penny. :lol:

He swims like a fish Musky. :rofl:

I figured, whenever he stops over I can see new hook marks & mono burn from gettin tangled in the lines. :lol: