Canadice 8/22/07

It was a crappy day lots of chop on the water and overcast skies, but the fishing was good. Went 5 for 5 ranging from 9 inches to 31 inches. Brightly colored spoons were hot, the rigger depth ranging from 40 to 55 feet over 65 to 78 feet for water depth. East side? West side? did not matter fish were everywhere. Photo is linked below courtesy of my brother, ssafran21. Thanks.

CS23

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s41/ ... rout-1.jpg

:D

Nicely rigged canoe dude, how fast are you trolling? Bright colored spoons are often mentioned for Keuka Lake, I haven't had a spoon bite in Canandaigua probably all year. Just flashers and flies or squids. do you run a cheater and or a slider?

FLXTroutman-

Thank you for noticing my canoe down rigged set-up. It is a 17' foot aluminum starcraft canoe. It is just a BEAST in the canoe world and I love it, prissy subaru driving canoe lovers tend to despise it but I could care less to what they think.

I digress.

Sorry to say there is no exact science to my trolling methods. I only carry and use a handful of spoons (about 10 overall) some stingers some apexes and that is all. I use bright colors on cloudy over cast days and darker/flashy colors on bright days. To be honest I do not catch much on bright sunny days, I have better luck when I go early in the morning or late in he evening, I prefer early morning it tends to be better fishing. I do not have any device when measuring my speed. I simply use this method, as you can tell by the photo I use a trolling motor as my main propulsion, if I am going INTO the wind I put the motor on 4 speed and when I am going WITH the wind I put it on 3 speed. I am still learning all the different methods of trolling and I have tried cheaters and stuff of that nature but to me and this is just my opinion it seems to complicate things even more. In simpler terms I have not caught a fish using cheaters, dodgers, and etc. I just simply use one down rigger with one rod with one spoon. I tend to make my trolls in the "drunken sailor" or "snake" method, which is a slow LARGE swooping zig-zag pattern. And that is it nothing to exciting. Simplification is the best advice I can/will give.

CS23

Sounds like you have it figured out for your boat and presentation, sliders are very easy to run though, just tie up a 6-8' leader of 15-30lb test with swivels on both ends. Connect your favorite spoon to one end and connect the other end to your mainline,and toss the spoon out, as you troll the spoon slides down the line and will settle in the bow of the mainline. Pretty simple so now you can catch fish at the ball and at the midpoint or so in the line. Set the first lure in the release and lower it down 10-20' and then attach the slider so the lines don't get tangled. If a fish hits the slider you may see the rod bouncing but may not pop the release, just reel, reel , reel, until there is tension and set the hook or pop the release. Give it a try next time.

All right you clowns! This winter I'll paint the "blue tuna" army green like my brothers canoe, then put a nice little aqua stripe down the side like Chuck's boat! Another thing, can a fisherman have to many spoons??? Lets open up my brothers fly box...I meant to say his 120 quart box of flies.

Anyhoo, FLXTroutman and Doozer, were usually on channel 4, subchannel 0 on the hand held radios.

Good luck boys!

Steve

nice going Tom! - it appears that steve has converted a die-hard fly man. i'm sure i'll be seeing you on the genny after the chrome in a few months. how about that photo steve shared with you of you in the background of that pic of me with the salmon on the genny before i knew either you or steve - small world eh? at least for obsessed fisherman in the rochester area.

i went out and trolled hemlock yesterday from 6pm till midnight. one hit at 11:30 - about a 2# crappie on a large stinger spoon - my first crappie trolling and my first one in NY. needless to say, not a great fight, but should eat well.

best,

dre

I stumbled upon the "Hemlock Spinner" this spring.

Anybody been pulling them? I've had great luck with em so far. Smallmouths will bend em up, but the trout seem to like the live minnow scent.

Got them at Sutton in Naples.

Doozer, What is a Hemlock Spinner? I have never seen one... live minnow scent? Have you caught trout on them?

Steve, the army green with aqua stripe would look nice! However, your brother and I have confered and considering your current productivity you may want to look into perhaps black with a white stripes :lol:

See you out there!

Chuck

It is made by Sutton spoons in Naples.

It is a spinner wit about a 4" looped wire behind it with a split double hook. You take the hook off, Push the wire in the minnows mouth and out the butt. Put the hook back on. The spinner is right in front of it's face.

I've used it with shiners and mooneyes.

I've caught some real nice fish on it.

Like I said, the smallies will bend it up.