Where can I fish with small boat?

I have a 16 1/2 Deep V G3 with a 9.9. Is there any where that I can use my boat to fish near any of the great lakes for salmon and trout and feel safe? Ive been told some guys have fished with small boats on Lake Ontario on calm days, but Im afraid of towing all the way up there and not being able to fish. Is there any rivers or bays that you would recommened for trout and salmon? Thanks

The best chance for limited wind and minimizing the chance for blow-off's is the last couple weeks of July and the first two weeks of August. Usually it is so warm there is very little breeze. In addition, you can find areas that are adjacent to bays or creeks for your point of entry or as someone stated above make sure you are close to the finger lakes as a back up. I have been going to Lake Ontario for over 25 years and on most trips there is at least one blow off day. And it doesn't matter if you are trailering a freighter on a day like that.

Irondequoit Bay, Sodus Bay, Port Bay, Fairhaven & Oswego Harbor. All will have Browns in them early.

Plan your trips for early morning when the lake is calmest. Winds generally pickup a little after 9- 9:30 & then you can head into the bays, if your at all worried.

Keep an eye on the long range forecasts

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I used to fish out of oak orchard in a 12 ft with 5.5 hp on calm days. If it was too windy I would troll the river for pike and panfish or bass fish.

I have a 16 ft now that i still fish out of the oak with and if it's a blow off day there is lake alice/waterport dam, glenwood is not too far, erie canal and the oak orchard river to fish.

i fish a 14' starcraft. watch the weather and the marine forcast closely for lake O. I fish spring browns and fall kings only as I am not comfortable to far off shore. The fingerlakes are a great alternative for trolling trout and salmon but the best advice I can give you is have a backup plan. I always have the panfish and bass poles in the car and always launch from a bay or river so if the forcast is off I didnt waste the trip. and in this area with rivers and canals I can almost always get out somewhere no matter how windy which helps with the limited days I have to go.