Cheaters off wire dipseys

Fishstix

Anyone got any good ideas for running fixed cheaters off the wires? Ive been thinking I should try this as the spoon would be running thru virgin water.I usually run flies off my dipseys. Im thinking if the cheater slides down it will be a tangled up mess.

I am going o try rubberbanding them today on the Little lake Cayuga and hope to get something perfected for next spring.

I've run cheaters on the dipsey using the super lines but haven't tried it on the wire. It's a little clumsy but it will work. Just keep the cheat up the line a little farther than the length of the cheater so when retrieving the dipsy the cheater won't tangle with the dip. Haven't used it much because of the extra pain it is to get rigged and deployed without getting into the other stuff.

Fun to play with when things grt slow........like today :)

I may not be envisioning this correct, I usually run a cheater on a rigger where you have a semi verticle line witha bow in it. On a wire dipsey teh line is far from verticle and has no bow to speak of. I question whether you would have the clearance needed for the spoon to run properly, of if it would just wrap around the wire line. Good luck with it, look forward to hearing how you made out!

When I run them I use a fixed cheater. Use a rubber band to hold the cheater on the main line/wire so it won't move. I used a 6' leader on the cheater and had it about 7' above the dipsey. If you want to trip the dip and bring it up the spoon on the cheater would stay in position above the dipsey and really didn't tangle on the main line. When a fish hits the cheater it would slide down to the dipsey and trip it. Only used it with spoons on both dip & cheat. Was afraid that a dodger on the dip would cut the leader with a fish on the cheater. When you hook up be prepared to untangle a mess :shock: .

It's a handful to rig and run so proceed with caution. Had a double once, 2 dink salmon, used scissors to clear those lines :lol: .

I tried a couple different setups off the wires today. I ran out about 100 feet of wire then clipped a lg.splitshot on the wire then clipped the cheater line above it. On the other side I used a stacker releice.Both seemed to work pretty good. I never took a fish off the cheaters on the dipsey wires.But there will be a time when they will work.

I like the splitshot better than the stacker less junk in the water.

Fishstix, we have tried to run a fixed cheater off a wire line dipsey before, with mixed results. One problem I can see if you pin a splitshot on your wire is how are you going to clear it once you need to remove it for it won't go thru the eyelets of you fishing rod. Also, I don't like the idea of putting any extra kinks in my wire line. They seem to happen enough on their own. If you are wanting to pin something why not try a snap weight (small offshore release) instead, for it would be much easier to clear. As I stated, we have taken fish using a fixed cheater, but we usually just half hitched a rubber band app. 15 feet above diver, with a 6 foot lead using a spoon of preference. But in all honesty, the wires are usually hot enough that the extra line is sometimes not needed, but when things do dry up, it does provide that extra line for a "bonus" fish. Good luck trying to tweek your method.

Guest ReelDiel

stix, tried it a few times always seemed like a pain. did this a few times and it seemed to set up easy and the fundamentals i think would work in theory never took a fish on it as 4 rods seemed enough most of the year. we used scotty planer board clips and after dip is set put clip on and let out desired amount if i had 300 out on dip i would let 150 out on stacked pole i figured that would put me about half way 50' or so this is nice cause you can do long leads ANDits not to hard to set up or brake down and you can take multiple fish off the stacker w/o resetting the dip just keep putting the clips on ;)

dipseystack.jpg

RD nice picture! Thanks

I could not find my rubberbands yesterday.

I pinch the splitshot on with my fingers.

Let me explain what Im after. You know how your trolling along and you mark a big fish high say 20 down. So you run a rigger long and high trying for those big high fish. Then your long high stuff just rots in the water. So you drop your rigger back down and "hellow"another big high fish appears They are the ones Im after. I was thinking maybe down and out was the answer.

Ive got a slide diver rig . But I can only run 4 rods . I would not give up a wire dipsey or a rigger rod to run a slidediver.

use a small off shore clip. Snap , 6" 30# line ,clip then a bead swivel. From the bead swivel leader to the clip for the spoon. Thats how I do my fixed cheaters. I use the black ones.

We have not run a cheater on the wire dipsy rods but have done ok with a fixed cheater on the power pro dipsy rods in the spring. I have a small swivel in the mail line 15 feet from the end and use a 6' leader to the cheater spoon or plug.

I would guess that a rubber band fixed cheater on wire line would be the easiest option.