Garmin g2 charts and plotter ramble

Sometime this winter I am going to upgrade my GPS Plotter.I want color. I want a Furuno But garmin is much cheaper and seems to do the same thing.

My question is on the G2 garmin charts. The ones that show the underwater detail in 3D. There is a lot of GPS info and im trying to digest it.

Are the charts as good as they say? They are around 300 bucks just for the chart.

Not so much for LO but they would be great for the fingerlakes. I have been known to fish a few humps and bumps in LO though.

If anyone has any good or bad plotter info lets get a discussion going here. I now have a Raychart 425 that wont show track.I also use a Furuno GP37 for track but the screens to small.

I fish with a guy that uses a Lowrance 4200c that seems to be a good unit. Another guy I fish with has a northstar. Good unit but he sent it back twice[fixed for free]. I have not ruled out Lowrance,only thing I dont like is the writeing on the screen is so small its hard for me to see. I am not going to spend more than 1k closer to 500 is my price range.

Ive been checking Ebay . Lots and lots of GPS stuff there.

Hello, I install these units all the time. The new Garmin units really are a good sounder with easy to use displays, and their chartplotters are really good too. However the Raymarine sounder is bar none the best one on the market right now. The detail and accuracy is the best and blows all competitors out of the water. I dont reccommend the furuno on the account of being harder to use and not as accurrate. As far as an installation standpoint raymarine will probably be just a bit easier than garmin, and from a usability standpoint garmin maybe easier than raymarine. Me personnally use garmin but only because of the price. If I could afford raymarine thats what I would go with. hope that helps.

WOW, I guess there has to be a first time for everything. I know a LOT of people running Furuno graphs and have never heard anyone have anything but pure unadulterated glowing praise for them. Never heard anyone complain about either the ease of use or the accuracy. I've seen some Raymarine's and they are very very nice as well, but when I retire my old dinosaur Lowrance LMS 350A I'm realy not considering anything other than Furuno, the only question is which model.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I've never heard that said about Furuno units before.

back on topic somewhat, I have a Garmin 172C color chartplotter and it has been awesome for me (doesn't have the 3D charting ability, though).

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Well after much checking and resurch Ive decided on a Garmin 3206c.About twice what I wanted to spend but Ive got all winter to find a reasonable one on ebay.The reason I went with this unit is you can overlay radar on your gps screen. Yes Ill be able to tell where I am on the water as well as all the boats around me right on my gps screen . That will be cool.It will show rain in real time in a different color right on my GPS.Yea I know Ive got to buy a radar antenna but thats next on the list.If anyone out there has any experience with one of these let me know...

Stix,

I hope you can look at my new boat should be in the water tomorrow. The boat has a garmin 3010c with radar, but no sounder. More than welcome to check out the sreen. It has the 10" color and in did buy the older blue chart 2 chip for the big lake.

No Promises

Ray What so you do during a hail storm? I usually do what they do in England.

NP when you think you will have that bad boy figured out? I looked at the 3010 s but I dont really think I need a 10 inch screen.I can buy a remanufactured one about the same price as the smaller unit.BTW fishing this weekend?I might be able to make it up Sunday.Ive been real busy lately. Selling my house ,getting ready to build a new one.