River Smallies

Guppy35

Just wondering how soon the Smallmouth would become active in the rivers? I've never fished for them this early in the year before, but with the unusually warm weather this winter i'm getting antsy to get out there and do some fishing. I usually fish around Corning, NY.

Thanks for the help!

Sean

They are biting now, but very slowly. My cousin caught one Sunday fishing for walleyes (out of the river - that river in Corning) Give the water temp 10-15 degrees more and they should really turn on. We were putting a hurt on them all the way up til Christmas and then the cold spell (if you can call it that) shut it down.

Thanks for the info guys, i appreciate it! BSMaster -- I have never caught a walleye before, but i hear this is one of the best times to fish for them in the rivers. Is this true? What kind of lures do you use for them in the river?

Sean

What works on Monday for eyes may not work on Tuesday. I would share more but I really have not figured it out yet. I am still learning. It may take years. I covered a lot of water on Sunday (6 hrs) and caught a little one. A few days earlier I caught half a dozen, a few were keepers, in an hour. Every day is different - The only thing I am certain about.

They do not like light so your best time of day is usually morning or evening and very cloudy days. I think optimum temp is in the 40's. They tend to slow bite with 30s degree water so you will get fewer hook ups. Bait is bait. Walleyes are oportunistic so you can catch them on just about anything. However, I am guessing that the live bait availlable is what you want use depending on the season. For example. Don't use frog or crayfish in the winter. Go with a minnow. In the spring, go with leaches and worms.

A lot of older experienced walleye fisherman do not leave their house til ten pm and come home around 3am. If you like fishing in pitch black, you will catch more walleyes. Wait til summer and you can catch both bass and eyes with rapalas. Good luck.

You can catch the 'eyes in the Canisteo River in the deeper pools and eddies. especially if it is under a bridge, like in Cameron. You used to be able to fish from shore in many locations, but some home building has changed that in recent times. It's an excellent kayak or canoe or any little boat stream; not bad for some wading, too. (I just hope it is not ruined by bad gas extraction activities). Try any turns in the river...Also the Chemung, right in downtown Elmira for the walleyes, near some of the low dams.