New to Spring Brown trolling

Hi everyone.

I was hoping to get some information about trolling for brown trout. Based on what I've been reading the pattern is in close to shore in 5-15 ft, stick baits, find stained and warmer water, speed 1-2 mph. I see alot about using down riggers and planer boards.

Can I just flat line straight out the back of the boat and run some off to the sides with in line planers? Would I be able to get the baits deep enough or should I add some weight?

I've never done this before and looking for some beginner pointers just to get me started.

Thanks

Stealth is the key. Flat lines straight back do work but the further out away you can go and the wider the spread the better. Light line is key I learned too ( 10-14 lb test is plenty). I HATE inline planers, much prefer the planer boards on a release... You can get a used board and a spool of the planer board line for dirt cheap. Before I had the fancy stuff I literally let it out and in by hand and tied it to the rail of the boat. But remember in 5 fow those fish can be spooky so getting stuff away from the boat is big

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Here is my setup for what it is worth...

14 lb trline xt with 10 lb seaguar leader. Leader tied to mainline with small BALL BEARING swivel. The swivel serves two purposes. Obvious is preventing twist in case your stickbait get hung up on itself or debris and starts to spin. Second is it may prevent a piece of grass or pther debris from makiong it down to your lkure. I run all floating stickbaits on the boards. f9 or F11 or similar bombers, thundersticks or rebels. Reason for flaoting is if you have boards out and find a pocket of fish you can turn on them and the slack board sticks will float up. If you run direct flat lines there will be no slack and you could run spoons. No need to get down more than a couple of feet, because you might want to scratch the shoreline. Find the colored water and the edges are good. troll 2 to 2.5 mph. Usually the more colored the water the brighter the lures need to be. After a couple of hits on a ceretain color load up on that color. Also I run 100 pulls (about 16 inches per pull) on clear or flat water and shorten to 50 feet if colored or choppy. 75 pulls for in between. The shorter the better if you are having positive results.

Also, i have had little success in "gin clear" water. Spend time prospecting for colored water before you set up.

BTW sorry for mispellings. I know how to spell but dont know how to type..... can someone tell me how to spellcheck?

As stated already, this is a stealth presentation. The suggestions are good.

Not stated is the importance of duplicating the drop-back leads for all lines on one side of boat. Keep them identical in length so hooked fish pass behind any inside lines you may have out at the time. Linecounter reels make this easy. When you hook a fish, let him swing in behind the boat to clear the other lines before you fight it in. A good set-up will have your baits in a V pattern. Automatic when using big boards and same leads; keep the same pattern for in-lines.

inside of 20' of water...

Stickbaits (flat lined off big boards) and small spoons (DW super slims or Stingers) off the riggers. Look for the warmest water. Concentrate on changes of water color and looks for temp breaks. 12# fluorocarbon leaders and long leads of at least 100'. I typically stagger my lines off the boards 100', 125', 150', 175'. It allows a little more separation between baits. speeds 2-2.5 sog. slower speeds in dirty water and faster speeds in clear water.

BTW sorry for mispellings. I know how to spell but dont know how to type..... can someone tell me how to spellcheck?

Ray K. will be glad to correct your spelling as soon as he gets back. Just be prepared for a lot of changes. :P

I was out Monday out of the bay. I ran 2 flat lines and 2 off the downriggers which were all of a foot down. I used to just run the back lines off releases connected to the boat handles. We went 17-21 so it does work. I find i get less of a mess this way and less snags as well. Since there is a 3 rod limit now thinking of going with boards again, but when fishing close in the sprig time and dodging other boats sometimes less is more. If you go out now, boats are not an issue. :D

Thanks everyone for all of the tips and tricks. I really appreciate your willingness to share. This sounds like a blast. Can't wait to give it a try. I am coming in from the West so I am thinking that Olcott would be my best launching point. I hope they have a nice launch in this area and deep enough access to the lake.

light lines 8-10# in fluorocarbon with barrel swivel. In line boards are the stealthiest for 5-6 ft water. We used to use trolling motors cutting the engines out 100 yds and using the trolling motor to get you in close and then threw Rapala floaters black/silver 2.5 inch with a little split shot to obtain distance. Looked for stained water off creek mouths and swamps overflowing banks into lake. Lately I have used Goby lures trolled in close to shore flat lined back 200' off corners and creek mouths this time of year. Go online and look for warmest surface temps and troll those areas. If you use inline boards you must use mono to keep from releasing lines on every fish. Look west of Mexico boat launch all the way along the shore to nine mile. Don't stay in one place if no fish. Move!!!!!!!

Do you use the same rods and reels used for ealy summer steelie/salmon trolling? I dont have a large selection because I just started. I am wondering if I need to respool or just tie in a long floro leader. Also is it safe being in this close or do you need to be watching for rocks etc.

Thanks

I ran the same line, rods, and reels that I use for summer salmon and steelies. I run a 20lb florocarbon leader all year. I used to run a 10lb leader but forgot to change it once summer started and it was not until Aug and several break offs did I figure this out. I have not seen any difference in catch rates. I am going to try the 20lb invisibraid this year.

Just my 2 cents

Tim

We've caught some of our nicer browns in the prop wash...set 3 feet down and 7-10 feet back off a rigger

[ Post made via iPhone ] uiPhone.png

u sure it wasnt a coho or atlantic? ive done cohos right by the boat but never a brown. seems odd 10 ft back thats what I run for cohos

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png