need a stable canoe or pram

victorytea

I,m retired and hoping to do some fishing this year. I borrowed my son's canoe last year and found it too unstable for any comfort (could not stand). I would like a light weight canoe or pram that I could put on top of a car (can't afford gas for a truck), preferably with a flat stern be able to gear it it with and electric motor. Any suggestions appreciated- Paul

You can also look around for a regular 12 ft cartop-just have to find the right one because some are very low sided.

Also a 12-14 v-bottom boat or pram is not going to weight that much and if you found one with a trailer it can be towed with just about any small vehicle. After you put something on top of a car for a couple trips, experience may tell you that a trailered boat is much more convenient.

Also a 12-14 v-bottom boat or pram is not going to weight that much and if you found one with a trailer it can be towed with just about any small vehicle. After you put something on top of a car for a couple trips, experience may tell you that a trailered boat is much more convenient.

No kiddin'. I throw a 54lb kayak on top of my Forester regularly and there are days my back is not happy about it.

Having done the cartop thing , I would suggest to you a small ( 12-16) trailerable aluminum boat w/ a small outboard. Most of these can be pulled with a smaller car. There are many I see for a decent amount on here. Can be setup the way you want w/ an elec motor & depth finder . I have A 16' w/ a 35 which is more than big enough for 2 guys. My buddy has a 14' Row boat w/ an 18 hp tiller he paid 650 for. We do a lot of fishing out of these boats. Good luck.

Paul,

I've had a 14 ft. Radisson canoe for about 15 years. I've had it in the lake bass fishing, in the bays for perch and pike, and many trips to the Adirondaks north of Tupper Lake fishing the ponds for trout and skamania.

It's super stable with a 38 in. beam, weighs only 41 pounds, can carry 800 pounds, and has a side mount for a small gas or electric motor.

Currently, my son has it and takes his sons to the Daks to keep up the tradition.

Take a ride to Oak Orchard Canoe and Kayak, in Irondequoit or Waterport. You can get a better idea of what's available. And the staff is very knowledgeable.

Jim

Thanks for reminding me, Jim. I bought my son's Kevlar canoe there 15 yrs. ago. and it was about 1200 dollars (they're probably 2000 now). I did like the staff and the store. I think I will take a trip there. I,m assuming your canoe must be Kevlar as well. BTW, hello neighbor, I live in Red Creek ( or as the natives call it,Red Crick) . Paul

Hi Paul,

I actually live near the lake just east of East Bay- near Wookit (Wolcott).

The canoe is made of a titanium/aluminum alloy that gives it it's light weight. It is then lined on the inside with closed cell foam that softens any noise from banging the sides or bottom. It has side sponsons and oar locks so it can be used like a row boat. Believe it or not, but there is also an optional sail that you can purchase!

Of course with a beam that wide, it's not very fast. But when I'm in it fishing with my son, I'm not in a big hurry for it to end!!

Here's a link to the Oak Orchard Canoe site showing the Radisson:

http://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/radisson.php

I ordered mine with the optional oak/wicker seats.

Jim

When I bought mine, the literature I had stated it was titanium/aluminum alloy. It didn't quote percentages. I can only say that it was a pleasure carrying it around the Adirondak ponds (or I should say my son says so ha-ha).

We have managed to bounce off quite a few rocks and have ground the bottom on many stream sides with only a few minor paint scratches.

Jim

Paul,

Mine doesn't have a transom. It's a 2 pointed type ( the second canoe down on the the Oak site). There is an aluminum/wood bar that attaches to the two gunnels behind the rear paddler, and the motor would be to the side of the canoe. I've used an electric motor quite a bit and it moves you along quite nicely.

Jim

Paul,

At the time I purchased mine, I wasn't interested in mounting a motor on it. It was used mainly in the Adirondaks. Now that I'm not as efficient with the paddle as I used to be the transom model would be the way to go! And I would definitely recommend going for the Wood and wicker seats.

Once again, I would recommend taking a ride to The Oak- Waterport facility. I think they have a bigger selection, and take a couple different models out on their pond. You'll have a better feel for stability and ease of getting in and out.

Jim

radissons are a great option for a stable fishing canoe. i have 2 14' and i'm looking for a 16' to add to the collection. i have a 2hp i mount on the bracket mnt that comes with the pointed models and that works fine. the square backs are nice for mounting motors, but you lose allot of the carring wieght. you'll love them for fishing either way.

Just on a little side note.... When I was a kid we used to take 2 canoes and run a couple of boards between them and C clamped them together and make a home made catamaran out of them. Talk about stable! We would use them a lot for spearing carp, just clamp some lights on the boards and were good to go for night time. Or you could just take 'em out mid day and horse around on them. 6 people at a time. You couldn't flip them over! We had a couple electrics we used or just poled/paddled them around. We didn't have a square stern, but it would have been perfect if we would have. Those were the days!