Olcott slips

I'm going to get a slip for my 24.5' boat this year, but I can't decide if I want to dock at the McDonough side or the Town side of the marina. I like the fact that I can have dinner and drinks at Timeout II and then walk down to the boat and hang out if i choose to dock on the Mcdonough side, but I know the dock area is in pretty bad shape compared to the Town side. The duck weed also collects at the Mcdonough side and how bad does that mess with your outdrive and bottom paint. I would need shorepower for sure as well. Anybody have an opinion they would care to share, its much appreciated?

First off ya need to either call or visit Newfane Town Clerk and you will probably go on a waiting list. Next you want to see in person Dawn Wilson at the Marina she runs the show. None of the docks in Olcott are in good shape although Dawn will have maintenance fix up what ya need.

Shade

Waiting list for sure on marina side. Take a peek over at mcdonoughs before you give him cash. Docks are a mess . Plus his docks run about 500 bucks a year more. There is almost no power hook ups. Think there is one that everyone shares with extension cords and one water spicket that about 30 boats share. Docks have holes and trip hazards everywhere. I was docked below timeout last year. Dock broke apart and nearly destroyed the side of my boat which he is gonna fix come spring. I could go on forever about the crap I seen from vandals to robberies of property. There will be a dock open. It was the one I had last year.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Dawn tells me they are doing a ton of renovations to the Newfane Marina this spring and will be able to accommodate some larger boats. I've had a slip there for 5 or 6 years now and have been pretty happy with the marina. There is most likely still a waiting list to get a slip which you have to sign up on at the Newfane Town Clerks Office at the Town Hall, not the marina itself. Slips are $45/foot for a seasonal slip.

Tim

Thanks guys. I know Dawn pretty well. I'm good friends with her son Nick. Already on the waiting list for the town side, as i knew they would go fast. Voorhees, you pretty much confirmed my thoughts on Mcdonoughs side. He charges too much for the crappy conditions. It's too bad he won't put any money into the docks there. It would be a nice spot with all the bars and restaurants on that side. I would like to see the renovations in the marina. Having lived in Newfane my whole life, there's always talk of it but never anything done. I've always fished out of a 16 or 17 foot boat that I trailered. I just want to get out of work and hop into the new rig and go.

On the east side of Olcott, Hedley deserves alot of the credit as well for the poor conditions. He owns about half of the docks over there, as well as some on the west side. It is a shame to see everything falling apart, I have been part of that harbor for 30yrs. It could be a phenomenal harbor. You're dealing with two guys who had parents that barely made it through the depression, they just won't let go of a dime unless they have to.

Wilson is beautiful, but tight in the charter row. Unless you have twins, it is tough to dock there. Pricey, but well worth it, IMO.