6 rod set up - how to run?

Looking to get some thoughts on how to run 6 lines. We have a 19' lund with an 8' beam. We currently stack each downrigger with 2 poles and a dipsey on each side. We would like to change things up an run a single line on each downrigger w/ a cheater and run 2 dipsey's off each side. First of all is this possible? If so, how would you run the dipsey's and what size dipseys would you run? Thanks.

Tony

I have a similar setup .I run 2 riggers with cheaters.2 wire dipsy on port 2 mono or braid on starboard .All on mag dipsy 1 1/2. and 3 setting.Also run offer boats ,if its not too nuts out there , with either copper or lead,core

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

When we run 4 out of my 19 ft sea nymph the wire goes out the farthest on a 1.5 and closest to the rigger with a braid/mono on a 3.5 in front of it, targeting higher fish with the mono/braid. Amount of line out is determined by depth of fish. We did better last year only running 4 rods...2 cheated riggers and 2 wire #1 dipsys on a 2 set. Most of the season dipsy's ran between 180 and 220 back.

Sometimes less rods is better.

You can add a rod by simply running a copper down the chute, or if you want to get more sophisticated, try running copper off the big boards just like spring fishing for browns. You need really good boards and releases, though. You can even mix a couple coppers per side with Mag dipseys, if you're willing to chance the tangle from Hades. Letting things out slowly is key.

If you're comfortable stacking rods, why wouldn't you keep them in the set? With three guys on board, you could run stacked riggers, a couple of wire divers, and a couple of coppers off the boards, and still have room for a copper down the chute.

Slapshot,

For Salmon/steelhead This has been our exact spread for most of the time with three in the boat(8'6 beam) is to run 2 riggers cheated with two wires on each side similiar to what Hawkeye does except we have all wire. The aft rods for each side are set on a 1.5 and are the deeper dipsy closer to the boat while the forward rods for each side are set on #3 and using 10'6 rods. We always let out our spreads slooow as we have learned from mistakes(not fun getting tangled with wire/flashers). I have heard alot of guys use magnums for their inside dipsys but this has worked so I never changed up.

We now have the 3 rod rule in affect so we are learning how to really have a cluster++++. We have included planers in our aresenal with no real issues but 8 or 9 rods is more tense for me, I will admit. next learning curve is going to be copper!

Paul

try a leadcore down the chute :yes: . been deadly the last 2 years on my 17' alumacraft. i like to run 2 rigger lines, leadcore down the chute, 2-3 planers off the port (off a single mast), and a flatline and a slider dipsy of starboard. had many banner days running this program the last 2 years. nothing like having 7 fish on 7 rods with 4 people in a 17', total chaos!

• 2 weeks later...

If I were you I would run 2 riggers with cheaters, two divers, and buy two more wires, but not for divers necessarily. That extra set of diver rods can be used to pull 4 divers, or what I would do is take those two and use them with torpedos out on your big boards or inlines. This method would give you riggers, divers, and junk lines. With two guys this is a pretty solid presentation you can cover a lot of water with.

How would I go about using the torpedos, because I believe we have them, just never took them out of their package. We have otter boards, so what size torpedo would you use and how far back? Is this a successful system to catch fish? Thanks,

Tony

I am not affiliated with Torpedo, but they make different size torpedo weights. With wire line you can fish them from 10' to over 100'. We carry a pair of coppers on our boat from 300' to 700'. That's 9 copper rods. With the Torpedo approach you just need two rods and two sets of those Torpedo weights. They have a dive chart already documented, so it cuts that learning curve down considerably. Run one off each otter boat to get them away from your wires and riggers just like we do with copper line set-ups.

One word of caution would be to deploy those things SUPER slow. You don't want them dropping into your wire or your riggers. The size you would use depends on what depth you want to achieve. Kind of like if I want to fish a flasher at 80' I know I need my 400' copper. If you want to hit 80' look on their chart and choose the right Torpedo, and the amount of line they recommend.

We haven't gotten into lead or copper yet and I like that they'll give us more delivery options without having to first spring for another rod/reel combo. I still need to get a couple pairs of Or-16 releases to use with them, though.