speed and temp

The FishHawk is best in my opinion. I have the old 840 that works great. The only issue I needed to correct was that my light (12lb round) downrigger balls blew back at 100' depth enough to be out of the xducer field. I have 13lb torpedo weights and new x4 probe for this year which should help a ton.

The cost is a little higher for FH, but seems to me one cable replacement on a Cannon or Moor system would offset that. My 840 setup is at least 20yrs old, still going with full time charter use (previous boat owner..). And never a cable replacement.

I agree 100% with bull gator I have the same set up my buddy put a depth raider on his boat in 2011and regrets it half way threw the season it started acting up he found a nick in the cable over this winter

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Hey Guys, Torpedo Divers has an answer to the coated cable issues with the Depth Raider and Moor SubTroll. Torpedo Divers made a new downrigger cable thet takes the coated cable and puts it down the center of the downrigger cable and wraps the standard downrigger cable around the coated transmitter wire. Torpedo Divers also has an antenna that goes along with the speed and temp cable that eliminates all outside electrical and radio interfence, so all you pick up is just the signal from the probe. This combination has been tested on Lake Michigan down to 400 ft with no loss of signal at all.

Had no issues with my fish hawk x4 last season. We fished nearly everyday. Cant say a bad thing about it other than battery replacement in the probe. Went threw a dozen or so batteries. Thats with being used 5 to 6 days a week and for usually 8 or better hours a day so really not that bad IMO

I upgraded to the FH X4 last season and it worked perfectly. I would recommend it! The older 840 unit did not work as well as this. The large digital screen is awesome and can be seen from the back of the boat.

I am an avid Sub Troll guy and have been very happy with the product since day one. I actually prefer the analog readout over all others on the market. Depth Raider has a very comparable product with the difference being a digital readout instead of analog. Since Fish Hawk introduced the X4 they really seem to have the best unit available on the market. Truth is you cant go wrong with any of these 3 temp units.

Hey Guys, Torpedo Divers has an answer to the coated cable issues with the Depth Raider and Moor SubTroll. Torpedo Divers made a new downrigger cable thet takes the coated cable and puts it down the center of the downrigger cable and wraps the standard downrigger cable around the coated transmitter wire. Torpedo Divers also has an antenna that goes along with the speed and temp cable that eliminates all outside electrical and radio interfence, so all you pick up is just the signal from the probe. This combination has been tested on Lake Michigan down to 400 ft with no loss of signal at all.

Fishkiller, have you used? Where can I find it. I don't see anything on the Torpedo website? Thanks, Tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Tank I have used the wire it works very well it solves all issues with the coated cable. Also Mort is right I am a Sr. ProStaffer for Torpedo Divers and I will also recomend if anyone has any questions or concerns about the Speed and Temp cable you can contact Matthew at the email address posted above or contact me at [email protected].

Fishhawk X4. The old 840 was not the best unit. The X4 is a huge upgrade from the old 840. Depth Raider, Subtroll, and the Fishhawk X4 are all quality units. It comes down to personal preference. I went with the X4 because I did not want to deal with coated cable, antenna's on the rigger and bigger probes. The X4 also has sealed electronics. If it gets water in it, it will not die like the other brands.