New to fishing Lake O, looking for some advice!

So, Ive been wanting to try Lake Ontario for kings the last couple of years, but other obligations kinda killed those plans. So this year I am going to plan a trip early enough that I have to go! Right now I am thinking Id like to take a trip sometime in May, and maybe another one in August, I will probably be launching out of olcott. Will I have to make long runs to find fish this time of year, or will they be fairly close? I have dipsey rods, and downrigger rods that should hold up, but I am a little lost when it comes to running planer boards. Most of my trolling is done in erie, so I am use to running weighted plugs or jets off of planer boards. I hear a lot of people talk about leadcores and copper for salmon. Is it a must to have leadcore or copper rigs in may? Or will riggers and dispey be enough?

Thanks

I'm guessing from your screen name and the port of choice you are coming from Ohio...

So, yes, Olcott is a great port to fish - however, in May I would not overlook Wilson and Youngstown. If you are indeed coming in from the west, you are in essence driving right by them. Youngstown gives you the fastest access to the Niagara Bar which is kind of the spring mecca for Kings. The "can" which marks the beginning of the shallow bar or the beginning of the drop is approximately 5 miles out.