Anyone ever catch a Sturgeon?

They're beginning to make a come back in lake erie... I've never caught one. I believe many people used to catch them and use them for firewood because they would burn in the wood burner for days.. thus leading to the endangered list.

As for the snakehead more and more are being reported caught in newspapers and online forums. I know of a few caught in the central basin of erie the past 2 years.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

They are a cool fish, I have seen quite a few while diving. They stay fairly close to one place and you find them near the same place quite a bit. There is a big one (7') out side of Oswego. Totally harmless and not real spooky of divers, bottom feeders. It's amazing they at one time dominated the waters.

• 1 year later...

I met the guy that had a big one wash up on his section of Ontario beach last season.  He was hanging out at the Sandy Creek launch, showing people a copy of the D&C article and photo.

my biggest one was 55 inches off Oneida, they were out deep, they are hard to get them off the bottom without straightening hook out. We had a double on one day you could watch them on the fish finder, pull them up 3ft they take 5ft.

On Oneida Lake guys catch them often during the early walleye and bullhead fishing at the canal in Sylvan Beach. A buddy of mine was there one night and saw two caught that were about 4 feet long. They also have had an article about them in the Post Standard that the sturgeon in Oneida are now reaching spawning age and will be going upstream more-so and the catch rate will increase.

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2011/05/oneida_lake_sturgeon_finally_c.html

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2011/08/sunday_column_1.html

I was trolling on the s/w side of Bouy 113 on Oneida late one morning a couple-3 years ago, and watch 2 fellows having a mighty tough time with what they had hooked. 

I thought it was a big cat, as there is plenty of those, there, but as I was captured by their struggle, I picked my lines, and threw it in neutral to watch.

They boated one at what I beleive was at least 5 ft long.

Quick pictures and back in the water it went.

Heard that a 6'er was caught waaaay up in Fish Creek last year around the time of the Walleye opener.

Iv'e caught a few in Northern Quebec over 7ft, Like another guy said on this thread. The small ones have really sharp like body armor on their sides and the big ones are dull. We also ate a couple small ones, Believe it or not they taste better than the walleyes. Iv'e also helped my Cree Indian buddies take them out of the gill nets, Seen some real giant ones, They had to be over 150 years old. The females they let go. For some reason they have their own laws on Indian owned territories,, Like no laws! We've caught pike up there that weighed over 50 pounds , All i can say is, these fish all came from hudson bay at one time. Walleyes, you catch one every two or three minutes, like you would catch sunfish here, you throw the 10 pounders back, they're small.

Where in nothern Quebec?

Lake Mistassini??

Two years ago I found a dead one washed ashore in the seneca river in Baldwinsville. Total length was 62" measured with a tape. Amazing fish .

This fish appeared to have been killed by a boat prop. They are very susceptible to boat impacts and prop damage, as they like to sun themselves in slack water just below the surface.

Iv'e got pictures but taken with a 35mm from my northern Quebec trips, No digital, I'd love to share them with you guys but can't figure how i'd post them. Fish hunter we go north east of matagami 400 miles in the bush on logging roads, Takes 21 hours to get there and another 5 hour boat ride to the only two cabins on the water, The territory is owned buy one Indian, 70 miles long by 10 miles wide, He actualy owns up the center of two lakes and owns one whole one plus parts of a river that runs in to Hudson bay, Can't tell you exactly where it's at for personal reasons, It's a family deal we've had for years. Kind of like telling someone where your secret little creek is you fish. It's beautiful there though. Moose, bears, wolves, lynx, all the walleye you can catch, Northern pike it doesn't get any better than that. I'm going this September and i'll be sure to get some digital pictures for you guy's. It's so far up north they smoke the sturgeon and moose in a tee pee ,got pictures of that too. They also eat the mooses nose. Wow. They have stomacks of cast iron, What they eat would kill us.