Changes to the Pro/Am ---Sample sponsor letter to help AM te

Now that the dust has settled and we have all had time to digest the proposed Pro/Am format changes, many of the AM teams have come forward and ackowledged the changes are too much to consider competing on the next level. I would urge such fellow competitors to reconsider and give the new format a try before opting out. Look, we all need new challenges in life and after all it is just fishing... something we have done since childhood. So what if you end up in 15th place. You will be able to hold your head high and know your team is in elite company as the fifteenth best boat on THE WHOLE LAKE! Stressful thoughts about running eight rods spreads, competing in heavy surf against bigger boats, open communication crap etc. are real but not impossible tasks to overcome. I would hope some pro teams could share some insights into how to compete at the next level. Advice on defraying costs by obtaining sponsors, team organization, etc.......anything that might prove helpful. Most of us competitors are small business owners. Think about all the contacts we have made over the years with other businesses. Many of these contacts are potential sponsors. I would try to call in favors from those contacts before approaching tackle manufacturers. When you win the tackle companies will seek you out. Think outside the box of the fishing world. Most higher level corporate business leaders have a discretionary fund to use at their disposal. You have to get organized and start the process now as budgets are usually set in the fall for the following year. GET 'ER DONE. Below is a sample letter that you may use as a template to garner sponsor support for your team and the tournament at the same time.

March 2, 2012

To: Name a Bank

C/O Phil McCrackin

122 Moonshine Way

Roadkill, West Virginia 22222

234 East Pier

Olcott, NY 11111

Hey So and So,

It is getting close to boating season and I am in the process of setting up sponsors for my fishing team. This is an exciting time as the team is making the jump from the amateur division to the professional division in the Lake Ontario Pro/Am fishing tournament series. The odds will be stacked against us as we will be competing against teams featuring multiple charter captains with full crews and all the best in boats and equipment. To help our team compete on a more even level we are seeking corporate sponsorship in return for advertising exposure.

The four Lake Ontario Pro/Am tournaments are held in the ports of Wilson/Olcott, Oak Orchard, Sodus Bay and Oswego. Competitors come from miles away from towns across New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Ohio, Michigan, Ontario-Canada and even England to vie for cash and prizes. Public exposure to these events include live weigh-in of the days catch at the events, televised episodes appearing on Angling the Great Lakes outdoor show with additional viewing access on the tournament official website found at Lakeontarioproam.net (click on LOPA TV icon at top of home page). Additional advertising exposure is given to tournament sponsors listed on the official website (can be accessed by clicking on the sponsor icon at the top of the home page), tournament literature and official magazine.

The entry fee is tentatively set at $650/team per event. Sponsorship levels will determine how many of the four events our team will participate in. Any contribution would be appreciated. You may want to consider a tiered sponsorship structure based on the level of advertising exposure. For example,

Silver Level Sponsorship- $1,300.00

Features include team involvement in the Niagara County (June 2nd, 3rd), and the Orleans County events (June 9th, 10th). Advertisement would come in the form of (name of company) logos on team uniforms and hats plus (name of company) logos on decals to be placed on the team’s boat and trailer.

Gold Level Sponsorship- $2,300.00

Features everything from the silver level sponsor package plus $1,000.00 would be either given to the Pro/Am tournament to sponsor specific individual prizes with (company name) name attached to the award or placed into the general prize structure to be used at the tournament’s discretion. As stated previously, tournament sponsors are given advertising access on the website and tournament literature. A gold level sponsorship will go a long way to help promote tourism to the area.

Thank you for your consideration!

(Sign your name here) Follow up letter with a phone call. Add a disclaimer that you are not serving in an official capacity as a tournament representative.

Committee members, if something in this letter is not accurate please advise

Chad

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Mobile%20Device.png

What is your question Blind Squirrel? This was posted to maybe help any AM teams that might be on the fence on whether to go pro due to the entry fees more than doubling. Seems to me the decision is a lot easier if you can get someone else to pay your entry fees.

Just baffled by the whole thing,I mean an am tourney scrapped and am competitor forced to fish in the pro division at what? About three times what it cost to fish before? If a weekend warrior is put in the position that they need a sponsor to fish a tourney,then it is no longer a fun deal.After paying for my dock,gas and any boat repairs that may come up there ain't a whole lot left.I think they are shooting themselves in the foot, pricing this out of reach for the little guys.

Just baffled by the whole thing,I mean an am tourney scrapped and am competitor forced to fish in the pro division at what? About three times what it cost to fish before? If a weekend warrior is put in the position that they need a sponsor to fish a tourney,then it is no longer a fun deal.After paying for my dock,gas and any boat repairs that may come up there ain't a whole lot left.I think they are shooting themselves in the foot, pricing this out of reach for the little guys.

Well said blind squirrel

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

well it was fun while it lasted.

I suspect the Pro Am's are going to be better than ever once all this gets worked out. Hey...the added cost is tough for all us weekend warriors to deal with, and that is all Chad is saying. If you love the Pro Am series as much as many of us do, figure it out instead of complaining about it. The entry is higher, but with a lot more payouts.

Chad is right...sponsors can be a big help. Just be prepared to work for them....whatever you get ain't free!! They want a return on their investment. Most sponsors will give you a discount on product, or if you are really lucky they will give you free product. It helps A LOT ! The money saved on product can go towards other things...like entry fees. But like Chad said....tackle companies are hard to get. Look at other sources. All they can do is say no....and they usually do :lol:

The most obvious way to stay in these tournaments is for the AM's to combine teams. There are a lot of AM teams that by themselves can't afford the higher fee, but maybe one or two of the guys can. Join forces ! Last year my team joined up with Team Oh Baby and it worked out great! It takes some getting used to when you are used to running your own team and making your own decisions, but If you can learn to leave your ego at the dock it can work out well. For us, It went well enough that we are doing the same thing this year :clap:

Hope to see some of you guys in Niagara :yes: