Mounting Downriggers to tracks

kjb7486

I would like to mount two Cannon downriggers on boat gunwales using tracks and would appreciate any opinions before I go purchasing mounting equipment. Downriggers came with Cannon low profile swivel bases, but not sure if I can use these with pedistal mounts for track systems. Thinking 4 inch pedistal mount, but I'm not sure if I can fasten the low profile swivel stage to a fixed pedistal without some sort of adaptor plate as low profile swivel stage is rather large. Am I better off ditching the low profile stages and springing for 4 inch pedistal mounts with swivel top? Also, I am planning on using 18 inch track so that I can fit both a downrigger and seperate rod holder on each track. A 12 inch track would fit better and be easier to install, but would this be long enough for both rigger and seperate rod holder or should I stick with 18 inch as previously planned? Thanks for helping a fellow fisherman out!

Highly recommend Traxstech Tracks.... You can get a riser from Traxstech and mount your low profile swivel base right to the riser.....Traxstech also makes a riser with the swivel top depending on what you decide to go with. they have a couple heights as well to choose from...

i'm not sure how big the canon's are but i would believe you can get a rigger riser and rod holder in one track - the risers are approx. 6 inches at the base in the track....

But if you can get the 18" track you'll be happier in the long run having the extra space to move or add your dipsy rod holder, etc.

Good luck with your choice!

Always fun rigging your boat for the first time - get as much track on your gunnels as you can after that you can switch it up anytime you want...Plus in minutes you can clean all your equipment off the boat and store easily.

Hope it helps!

You can also put tracks in tracks - i could only fit a 6 inch track in the Transom so i went with a riser and a swivel style and mounted an 18-inch track on that

2011_09_21_16_15_49_598.jpg

Irish_runnin.jpg

I have Traxstech also. On the stern of my boat I have an 18" track on each corner which has a rod holder and a Cannon Mag 10 rigger. I will use the separate rod holder for the rigger rod or a junk rod down the chute. On the gunnels, starting from the stern, I have a 24" track which has a rigger and a single rod holder then a space and a 36" track which has 4 more rod holders then the net holder. The first two rod holders from the rigger don't get dipsy rods. They are used for moving the rigger rods out of the way to clear the back for netting a fish. I don't think that an 18" or 24" track will get you enough room between your outside rigger boom and the dipsy rod if you run the rod horizontal. If you run the dipsy rod holder at a higher angle and the rod can flex over the rigger boom you will probably be fine with 18" or 24" tracks.

I don't know if you can mount the Cannon Low-profile swivel mount to a Traxstech downrigger mount but the Cannon swivel bases can usually be sold on Ebay for $40 or more each to offset the cost of a different swivel mount that will directly fit the tracks.

Good Luck,

Andy

i disagree with all of the above i had mine on tracks and hated them no matter how tight you make them they wobble alot and get loose if its flat all the time they are nice but in my opinion bolt them baby's down.. i have tracks for everything else but skip the downriggers

• Like 1

G-Daddy, looks from your image that you mounted cannon low profile swivel stage directly to fixed pedestal riser. Is this riser made by Cannon or Traxstech? I can't seem to find any technical drawings or specs anywhere stating dimensions and bolt hole patterns of downrigger mounting risers by any of the leading vendors. The bolt hole pattern of Cannon low profile swivel stage is 4 x 4 inches. Are top plates of these pedestal risers, for track systems, typically 5 x 5 inches or so? If anyone can provide dimensions for top plate of Cannon and/or Traxstech risers that would be extremely helpful. I guess I can always contact them directly during the week also. I can save money by purchasing fixed risers and using the low profile swivels I already have if mounting will work out. Otherwise, I guess I will spend the extra for swivel pedestals and sell low profiles to make up for difference. Thanks!

OK, so I think I have it figured out. Looks like fixed pedestals have larger top plate for fastening seperate swivel stages to; whereas, swivel pedestals have smaller top plate for directly fastening downrigger base to. Guess I will stick with fixed pedestal risers to provide more flexibility, as well as saving $. Thanks!

Yes - the pedestal has a mounting plate on top. Used shorter mounting bolts for the swivel base. We do check the set screws for the pedestal base in the track several times each day but so far no problems. You can crank the traxstech setscrews pretty tight with an allen wrench.

i'll have to say almost anything on my boat loosens up with time and pounding on the lake...

the tracks-riggers-GPS-almost everything is checked on my boat regularly

I'll agree with the allen wrench comment...if you screw em down hard-

i usually struggle to loosen them when and if i want things moved around

But the opportunity to move anything i have in my tracks or remove in a short time with no permanent holes is priceless, plus its a selling point when and if you come to parting with your boat.

Good luck with your decision!