Maybe with all these changes it might be time to think about an AM ONLY tourney. NO Pro's allowed. An AM tournament ran by AM fisherman. The current series has stated declining participation on the AM side as the reason for their changes. The Pro/Am series always prided itself on being a tournament that consistency paid off. Now they are going to pay 60 checks and if you have a bad day thats OK. What is this youth baseball where everyone gets a trophy.Oh ,but wait we want you to pay close to triple. The towns that host the current Pro/Ams, I am sure they would love to have more fisherman visit their regions or maybe run out of some new ones. Simple rules,low fees, could make it something to think about and provide the tournament experience that we have all come to enjoy. Based off of 25 boats, it could provide some nice cash payouts. Here is a basic format:

1. No communication

2. 6 fish- culling allowed

3. No observers- (boat coolers checked in morning of tourney)

4. Same scoring (point per pound-10 points a fish)

5. $300 per boat entry fee

What are your thoughts?

I was just thinking that Fat Nancy,A-tom-mik, Narby,Captains Cove and the Slippery sinker to name just a few, would probably do much better business from hundreds of happy amateurs who would now have a few dollars left over to buy some stuff. Heck at those prices I might be able to rent lodgings for the weekend or at least get myself a nice dinner in a restaurant before going back home.

You would be a happy winner or looser without having broken the bank.

I like it except for the no observer part

Although observers are not a perfect solution they are a big asset when it comes to keeping people on the up and up.

Were ever theres money and prestige involved, you will always get some low life that will want to cheat.

I hate it but it's a fact.

Other than that it sounds like fun and with a two man team you can now still run a 6 rod spread. :yes:

Glen

Let's do it!!! the no communications is going to be tough with out an observer.that would be the only reason you would need one.being able to cull is an awsum idea I mean it works for that little tournament called BASS MASTERS!! I would help any way I can pm me if you want to make a go of it let's make it happen for the good of the (THE WEEKEND WARRIORS)

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I am certainly in favor of a NO PRO tournament. Let's face it, there are many of us that participate in the pro-am purely for fun, comradery and maybe a trophy and a bit of cash. What the big committee is proposing is nothing more than a method to grab cash from the rec fisherman to fuel their own egos (and pocketbooks). Did any body who fishes on the AM side have a chance to view their opinion???? As a regular participant I certainly did not. I would be willing to help put this NO PRO tournament together.

Lou Calabrese

Horsin' Around

I think every one should be allowed to fish they didn't tell us we couldn't fish they are just making it impossible for a lot of us to fish.the biggest think with any type of new event would be getting the word out.with this web site that shouldn't be to hard.let's keep the entry fee at 200$and have a calcutta of say100$this way if you had extra money to get in you can but you wouldn't have to one day event 6rods 6fish that you can cull no communications you can have 6or8 events pick your best two to qualify for some kind of grand finally event this way you wouldn't have to even fish all the tournaments to qualify let's keep the ball rolling on this and make it happen if you build it they will come fishermen and sponsors thanks

JERRY!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Hey... Didn't Horsin' Around take 2nd Place at the 2011 Atomik Challenge, over EVERY charter boat entered unless LATERON is a charter?

I'm neither fore or against the Pro-Am rule changes.

Sounds like what this thread is talking about is basically the "Challenges" with the exception of being No Comm and observers. It's only about $60 to get in these. Pay out is pretty good, and if you look at the standings last season, there are "AM" teams mixed in with "Pro" teams in each event.

Hey... Didn't Horsin' Around take 2nd Place at the 2011 Atomik Challenge, over EVERY charter boat entered unless LATERON is a charter?

I'm neither fore or against the Pro-Am rule changes.

Sounds like what this thread is talking about is basically the "Challenges" with the exception of being No Comm and observers. It's only about $60 to get in these. Pay out is pretty good, and if you look at the standings last season, there are "AM" teams mixed in with "Pro" teams in each event.

No it's not anything like the Challenges.

What it's like is the am division of the proams without the affiliation.

And yes, Lateron is a charter.

It certainly won't be an easy feat to get going and the chances of if happening aren't great but it's possible.

I'm all for it and will help in anyway I can.

Glen

1. No communication

2. 6 fish- culling allowed

3. No observers- (boat coolers checked in morning of tourney)

4. Same scoring (point per pound-10 points a fish)

5. $300 per boat entry fee

What are your thoughts?

2, 3, and 4 are Challenge rules except for a cooler check.

But, they are one day events on the East End so they are different. I was just pointing out that some similar events do exist to look at when developing this idea. And to not under estimate yourselves.

I hope you guys go for it and it works out.

hmmm maybe i wont sell off my stuff yet ....

ok sounding good

lot of behind the senes stuff needs to be addressed but the general idea should be dooable.

gotta keep common sence involved ,and the K.I.S.S. system intact.

kinda shootin yerself in the foot ,but a mandatory radio call with lure, speed, D.O.W. might be a thought. nuttin worse than a new team gettin in a derby and having a score closer to O than near the top ten.

probly #1 reason for new guys to not get started derby fishing.

gotta thinkj outa the box sometimes

not everyone can take aweek off to pre fish so sharing info would help everyone have a great time and make the prefishers sharpen yer fine tuning , and some satisafaction of truely helping a newer guy catch fish

Huge undertaking to put on a tournament. Liability insurance, local government involvement, permits?, volunteers, sponsors etc. etc. Not too many people have the time to put it all together. Sounds like to me you are taking about a club-level event. The LOTSA clubs do have these low pressure fun events. Maybe you could convince the fingerlakes-run events to expand to Lake O since they have a model in place. Good luck gentlemen. Send me all your mojo as I take on the big boys.

Being a full time tournament fishermen, yet still an Am, I think I may be able to offer some helpful insight ?

I definitely consider myself an Am. Even when I fish the pro division I fish it with another former Am team. So if you are talking about an Am tournament, what would differentiate a Pro from an Am?

Not sure it would be a good idea to segregate and only target/ allow one group. First off, that would keep most potential sponsors from coming aboard. A tournament is a tournament.....keeping "pro's" out is unenforceable.

For the most part, the guys that run a tournament don't fish it. That is the main thing that has kept me from getting involved in one so far....I wanna fish! There are exceptions, but it takes people to run it. From all the guys I have spoken with, running a tournament is a huge undertaking.

I could go on and on but I don't want to seem like I am trying to be negative, just keeping it real. Emotion and resentment doesn't run a tournament.....a lot of thankless hard work does.

At least as of this season, The Pro Am STILL has an Am division, and the committee and counties are doing all the work for us...it's the former open division. If turnout is poor, who knows if they will keep it intact and then there would be nothing designed specifically for the AM teams :(

Just saying....maybe the Ams should get more involved and voice up why the committee is listening and voice up on how to make the Am/open division something they would want to be involved in ?

Speaking for myself, I know that last year I fished 3 of 4 Pro Ams. 1 as an AM & 2 as a Pro. The one I missed was because I thought I would be out of town, but it turns out I wasn't. I seriously considered fishing the open division, but the early finish time kept me out. That was a major sticking point for me that I think needs to be addressed.

Good to see the tournament compassion :yes: Can't wait for the season to get here!!

I know the idea of some sort of tourney out of Sodus has been tossed around a little. Dawn & Troy at Warrens Hook Line and Sinker are putting on a spring brown trout only derby, and have talked about having some kind of summer event. If the support is there, they may be able to help out and get something going.

It takes a lot of work and dedication to put on a successful event, but it really is great to see that everyone still has passion for competition!

I am all for an AM event. A couple of suggestions may need a little messaging to get clubs and sponsors involved.

Ray is correct..we need to think outside the box if we want a successful event.

I agree Rod with you outside the fact of keeping pro teams out. It is being done with the pro/am by saying if you are a charter captain or have a captains license you could not enter in the am division.

Rules have to be made by the fishermen and agreed to by the participants. You will never satify all but keeping the event on an even keel will draw teams.

Who is the point guy that is going to run to get this off the ground? I would like to see Ray and Rod as part of this committee.

Shade

I agree Rod with you outside the fact of keeping pro teams out. It is being done with the pro/am by saying if you are a charter captain or have a captains license you could not enter in the am division.

Agreed...if, and only if, your designation of a "pro" is having a charter Captains Lic. How would you know who is fishing off what boat? Whatever works....go for it. Just pointing out the obvious.

Who is the point guy that is going to run to get this off the ground? I would like to see Ray and Rod as part of this committee.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Howie, but I already have an overflowing plate. IMHO, I will stick with the Pro Am's, and the times I don't fish the Pro division, I will fish the Am/ open division. For me....that's where it's at :yes:

See ya the week of the WHI Howie.

Lake Ontario ProAm Series

Levels of Competition

"The Recreational Open Division was created with the novice or weekend angler in mind."

I was going to enter for the first time this year in the open division. If there are guys who have a lot of experience and have fished in the am and pro divisions before but now want to fish the open division, what is the use of me and another new guy trying our luck against guys with such good knowledge and experience? I don't think it's fair for some guy who has a lot of experience and fished in the pro division before to fish against new comers in the open division.

I don't think it's fair for some guy who has a lot of experience and fished in the pro division before to fish against new comers in the open division.

I think you're missing the point. Everyone always has an excuse why the don't fish this, or don't fish that. There are plenty of guys on this thread alone (Glen, Lou, etc) who have kicked my a$$ plenty of times. I fish every tournament on the lake....not because I am any good at it, but because I love the competition and hanging out with all the people who share my passion.

Anyone who knows me knows I take kids fishing alot. My son (now 12) has fished tournaments with me since he was 7. If I had the chance, I would love to take him and a buddy of his and fish against the Ams in the open. I almost fished the open once last year with my son, wife and 7 yr old daughter. I just couldn't get the girls interested in getting up that early.

Should a full blown "pro" team fish it....of course not. I didn't give all the details because I didn't think I had to.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Team would be the first in line to register for an AM only tourny!!! We fish out of a 20' boat and are the epitomy of weekend warriors. Having just gotten into Salmon fishing last year we dont have the gear or the vessel to compete in the PRO/AM, our, what was it $850, entry fee would be nothing more than a donation to those bigger more experienced anglers. An AM only tournament would at least let us be competitive and if it were $300-$400 bucks for registration, I would register right now. I would love to help facilitate this idea in any way that I can. Our team is from Syracuse and would probably only fish out of Oswego. So if someone is trying to organize one of these for the Oswego area pm me and I will do whatever I can to help.

Keep your hooks sharp and your lines tight!!!!

TEAM BETTY JEAN!!!!

Our Team would be the first in line to register for an AM only tourny!!! We fish out of a 20' boat and are the epitomy of weekend warriors. Having just gotten into Salmon fishing last year we dont have the gear or the vessel to compete in the PRO/AM, our, what was it $850, entry fee would be nothing more than a donation to those bigger more experienced anglers. An AM only tournament would at least let us be competitive and if it were $300-$400 bucks for registration, I would register right now. I would love to help facilitate this idea in any way that I can. Our team is from Syracuse and would probably only fish out of Oswego. So if someone is trying to organize one of these for the Oswego area pm me and I will do whatever I can to help.

Keep your hooks sharp and your lines tight!!!!

TEAM BETTY JEAN!!!!

byoung62, you are EXACTLY who the Open Division of the pro am is designed for.

Tim