custom hard top.

I am really contemplating on doing a custom hard top for my trophy. I like the canvas but really would like to do a hard top. Has anyone done their own? As far as framework goes I am all set, just have to figure out the best way to make it. I have researched a ton and found many different styles. Any input would be great guys..

Thanks. Nick

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Man I am in the same exact boat as you are right now with my 21ft cruiser. I was going to use the bimini top hardware and just throw a wood/cloth resin hard top but now Im thinking it might be too flimsey. So now Im thinking im going to use 2x2 for beams aft of the steering area and use the bimini stainless steel for the rest. From past experience with wood I wouldn't even put it on the boat without using epoxy resin, that stuff seals everything, even really cheap wood for a core. If you can weld then weld all day and this would probably be an easy project, but if you can't not so much. If you have any Ideas pass em my way because im going to have a hard top in a couple weeks weather or not it holds lol. I also saw this photo and thought it should be easy as long as i glass everything. 4.jpg

I started working on mine these past couple days total size will be 6 1/2x 7ft, using 2x2s as a frame and 1/4 inch cabinet grade oak to go over the top. 2x4 used as extra support for radios etc. Cant see it in the photo but there is a pitch using two horizontal 2x2s. plan on using fiberglass resin to seal everything. It's the same Idea as the WEST system i believe but not totally sure. Used on other boats before and works fantastic! But the stuff pictured is 11$ a liter compared to like 100g for the WEST without hardner. Will probably need about 4 of these liters to finish this project. WEST does make a dye for the resin to turn it white (which i bought for 20$ expensive) and with my experience the only reason i'd use the Mat stuff is for color change or extra stiffining of the core. worst case senario, sand & paint. The walls will be made out of maybe 70% acrylic sheet from lowes with a wood frame using a router. Now with tomorrow days being in the 50's and up Im super motivated to get this done. I'll post more pics if anyone is interested. please let me know how things are going, glad to share the experience.3761624.jpg00404_Bondo_Fiberglass_Resin.jpgIMG_0062.jpg

There are a million problems with some of the methods that people use, do your self a favor and learn about the subitys of fibergass and resin.

Call the people at US Composits and tell him what your thinking, he will give you the tec reasons it will work or not. They have great products for a very reasonable price, you can get the cheap resins or the higher quality but at least you will understand what you need to do so it will last.

Awesome info. I have planned to do something similar. I think a slight pitch is necessary as well. Except mines goign to bei n the range of 8 foot by 10 foot. hmm. Still have to draw the plans up with numbers.

I have an old down-easter lobster boat. My hardtop pitches to the bow and has a slight round to shed water to the sides. My top is just layed up 1/2 plywood and is stiff enough to support my weight even when i stand at the end of it. My kids jump off of it all summer long. Two 1 by 2 boards run the width of the top to stiffen it up. They are shaped to create the slight rounding to shed water to the sides. You tube fiberglass if you never have done it before, really nothing to it. When you mount something on your hardtop use 100% silicone caulk or water will get into your plywood. I have a canvas that encloses the back of my hardtop. One thing I wish I did before I redid my boat was put in a sliding window in. It gets really hot in the cabin, even with the canvas off. Really nice in the winter, I keep the wheelhouse 70 degrees. I find my hardtop catches the wind like a big sail even in Seneca and Cayuga. It makes it more difficult for trollin but that probably because I suck at fishing.

Nice website, glad to see your using the Capt. Lic

• 3 weeks later...