Nissan Tohatsu Kickers

JeffM

Does anyone have any experience good or bad with Nissan/Tohatsu outboards? I found some good prices on the web (www.onlineoutboards.com) . I am looking to put an 8 or 9.9 hp kicker on my 19' Tracker V18. I am concerned about quality and access to service in the Western NY area. Just wondering if anyone has any input.

Thanks

The smaller Mercury 4 strokes are Nissan/Tohatsu engines with black paint. They are great engines and you won't go wrong regardless of the name and paint job on it, be it blue, silver or black.

I've had the Merc 9.9 on my 19' glass-hard top for 6 years now without any problems. Trolls 6-7 hours on a couple gallons of gas. I've changed plugs a couple times and change the oil every 80 - 100 hours.

I bought the 9.8 tohatsu w/electric start off of them in 2010. Hooked up a control king for throttle control and am very happy with the set up. I run a 19.5 sea nymph and can troll from 6 am to dark on 3 to 3.5 gallons.

No problems so far.

I have a tohatsu 8 hp (same motor as the 9.8 just need to redo the carb to up the hp) like the others say it trolls all day on a 3 gallon tank of gas. I was going to get mine from online outboards but I went to obersheimers sailor supply in buffalo on niagara st. They're a tohatsu dealer and they did the original start up and ran it and made sure everything was good before they delivered the motor. They will price match online outboard but you pay NYS sales tax. I'm kinda crazy on maintaining the motor and changing the fluid and keeping it clean but I just want this motor to last. I have a 2011 model from this past spring. I also have the electric start/pull start with charging system and it is a long shaft. This motor always starts right up with the electric and 1st pull...hardly even give it a pull and its running. Very quiet. Can't compare it to a yamaha or honda because I've never used them but I am very happy with my tohatsu. Just make sure there is a deale/mechanic that will work on it nearby. I go to the dealer for any questions but I asked the guy that fixes my force and he will not work on it even though he is a merc mechanic and tohatsu makes mercs under 40 hp

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I have also been looking at getting a tohatsu/nissan 8 or 9.8 kicker for my Tracker pro guide V175 and was looking at this same website

To original poster- Not sure where you are located, but last I checked, Bayside boat and Tackle on Empire Blvd in Webster services these engines

Thanks Dewey that's good info. It may be worth paying the sales tax to have a mechanic do the initial startup and test. On the onlineoutboards website they claim for motors under 40HP it is not required for the manufacturer warranty because they are all tank tested at the factory. I still think its not a bad idea to purchase from a local dealer.

Joe, I am in the Buffalo area but its good to know know there are options around here for service. How are you planning to mount it on your tracker? Do you have a small lip over the casting deck like my Targa V18? I dont feel like they left much lip for mounting a Kicker but I have seen photos where they mount to it.

JeffM i have no ties to obersheimers but they are very great to deal with. Ask for Paul when/if you decide to go through them. He will tell you everything you want to know. Like I said they will do the start up and tank test everything if something needs tuned or whatever they will do it free. For 70 dollars they will store your outboard for winter and also go over it and clean it and tune it up for you. They are a tohatsu dealer so no matter where you buy the engine they will service it. They will fire up a motor at the shop there if they have one in and you can check it out. The only thing they told me to do is when im done pull the fuel line out of the motor and run it out of fuel everytime to keep the carb from gumming up. They also gave me a bottle of fuel treatment/stabilizer when I bought my outboard.

JeffM- tracker advertised my boat as being able to accept a kicker and judging by the size of the lip it looks like i can just slap one right on the transom. I have seen a few photos of mine also with one on there and looks good. I am just trying to decide what hp- looks like the 8 and 9.8 weigh the same (which is my concern) so i am gonna take a run with some sandbags or something in that area just so see how the boat handles with the extra weight.

Joe, that is a good idea to test it with the additional weight. I am leaning towards the 8 HP. I may purchase a 4 blade prop for $75 with the money I save. I am thinking the 8hp with a 4 blade prop may be better that a 9.8 with a 3 blade for trolling etc. If you look at all the Merc Bigfoots, Pro Kickers etc. they are all 4 blade.

I have a Nissan 9.8 Long shaft I use as a kicker. It ia a 2009 and was perfect until midway thru last season when something was wrong with the carb. your right, dealers not too close for service an hour and half ride for me one way. Anyway, the first trip they said it was bad gas, which gummed up carb and not covered under warranty, so there went $200, which I didn't believe since the problem of surging started all at once. So 3 trips to dealer and no kicker for the last half of the season, now it has a new carb. (at no cost to me) it's sits in my basement waiting try it out in the spring. When it was running, I couldn't be happier with it, pushes my 21' cuddy at 7mph if needed and all day of trolling on less then 3 gallons.

Good Luck

Chaz

I had a Yamaha t-8 for 6 years and loved it. Always started right away and never gave me a problem.

I've had a Merc Bigfoot 9.9 for 1 year and I hate it. It's been to the shop 2x and still ain't right. Fouls plugs in 6 hrs and blows alot of carbon out the exhaust. At first I just thought I had a lemon, but since I posted my experience and problem on the internet, I get regular e-mails with others having same symptoms.

My next kicker will be another Yamaha.

For all you folks who think you know where the small bacon strip motors (merc) are made, here is some news for you Merc opened a brand new plant in China approximately 8 years ago for the little ones. If you bought a small meac after that time you are supporting China!

For all you folks who think you know where the small bacon strip motors (merc) are made, here is some news for you Merc opened a brand new plant in China approximately 8 years ago for the little ones. If you bought a small meac after that time you are supporting China!

Thanks for the heads up. This is what wikipedia has on that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Marine.

I have a 2 stroke 7.5hp Johnson that I am looking to get rid of. It is too small for my boat and has very low hours (~5-10.) my Grandfather bought it new and used it once before he sold his boat. I used it for 1 hour and it wouldn't puch my boat fast enough at a low enough rpm. Let me know if you are interested. It doesn't come with the can or stand but is in immaculate shape and very clean.