How many ams are interested in a serious am only tournament

How many ams are interseted in a serious Am only Tournament  

64 members have voted

1. 1. How many ams are interseted in a serious Am only Tournament

• 2 day proam style tournament
    • One day proam style am tournament
    • Derby style

I'm looking to get an idea if a serious amatuer only Tournament would work.

Personally I would like to see one similiar to the old proam but without the BS rule changing every year.

And most important...NO COMMUNICATION

Glen

I would do it either one or two days. How about the ports? That same?

That would have to be determined as would the rules.

Theres alot involved and I'm just trying to determine if theres enough interest in a serious proam style, am only tornament.

Glen

Great idea. I think the best way at this point is to message the Open that is available now. Make it more appealing to AM's. Implement a few rules and I think it may work. Just my thoughts.

Shade

the g.f. and myself would definately be interested but without knowing at least the basics of the rules it would be hard to say for sure. i've posted on here numerous of times before over the yrs about smaller boats being at a disadvantage and the obstacles that an observer along with the additional cost would present to us. in a 19.5 ft. boat it just wouldn't be feasable for us. i understand the need for them but still have to look at the bottom line on whether it is worth competing or not. we have already discussed fishing the open division of the pro am this yr. if the participation were to increase which other than the short fishing hours was the reason we didn't in the past. that format suits us well and if this endeavor was to take place we would be happy to fish both. but without knowing the format it would be just impossible to give a go or not. i am curious to know however what would constitute a pro if this were to be a am. event only. would it be anyone with a captains license or would those that don't actively charter be included to fish.

LBG.

It would closely resemble the old proam rules with the exception of a 6 fish 6 rod limit so 2 man teams could compete.

And absolutely NO COMMUNICATION.

No one who has a Capts license or who has run charters in the past would be allowed to fish.

I would like to see observers which would mean 3 on the boat but when the time comes we would see what the popular vote would be.

As mentioned there are many things more difficult than the rules that need to be nailed down.

If any of you guys from around the lake could ask around and see if anybody would be willing to work with us at different ports that would be great.

Tackle shops, Marinas, local tourist organizations, things like that are necessary to get the ball rolling.

I'm going to be doing some sniffing around in the Mexico area of the lake the next couple of weeks.

Glen

Seems to me at this day and age contestants could video their catch. If you allow culling the measurement and release of short fish would not be an issue. Every team at check-in receives an official video tape with a tournament intro to proove it is legit. No observers needed.

I was up to Mexico Bay this past weekend.

I was planning on doing some research for a place to hold a tournament but it's to early in the season.

A couple of people and places I had planned to visit are not arouind/open yet.

If anybody can get a lead or two on some place to hold a tourney let me know.

Seems like the interest is definately there. :yes:

Thanks

Glen

I would be up for a 1 or 2 day event but I really don't want to travel to the West end. you don't have to limit it to 2 man team just 6 rods. i don't see the need for observers and closed communication but i would go along with it. keep the entry fee cheap 300.00. i think culing is ok. keep it fun and low key. the fewer the rules the easier it is.

Hey Glen, What are you thinking, running with the pro-am series or different dates. I was planning on running all four this year and was contemplating the same thing as you are here sort of. I would be interested in running lake wide or doing several dates through out the season on the east end. It would be easy to put one or several weekend tournaments together with moderate entry fee's to entice larger numbers of participants and nice prize structure. Providing that the interest is here. PM me I'll help get something going!!!!!!

Just my $.02 but it looks like there are about 48 teams interested in a AM tournement. I think, because of past entries in the pro/am, that a AM tournement in Niagra sometime in spring (either just after the WIT or after the NEW PRO AM) could draw a lot of teams. In the past the higher numbers of AMs where in Niagra and Sodus, so then a AM tournement out of Sodus in late summer or early fall should have a good draw again. My opinion as a first time try and look at extending depending on interest.

Thanks,

Shade

Just my $.02 but it looks like there are about 48 teams interested in a AM tournement. I think, because of past entries in the pro/am, that a AM tournement in Niagra sometime in spring (either just after the WIT or after the NEW PRO AM) could draw a lot of teams. In the past the higher numbers of AMs where in Niagra and Sodus, so then a AM tournement out of Sodus in late summer or early fall should have a good draw again. My opinion as a first time try and look at extending depending on interest.

Thanks,

Shade

Thanks for the advice Shade.

Get busy and get one going out west.

Right now I got my hands full trying to get one going in the east end and working full time.

Hey Glen, What are you thinking, running with the pro-am series or different dates. I was planning on running all four this year and was contemplating the same thing as you are here sort of. I would be interested in running lake wide or doing several dates through out the season on the east end. It would be easy to put one or several weekend tournaments together with moderate entry fee's to entice larger numbers of participants and nice prize structure. Providing that the interest is here. PM me I'll help get something going!!!!!!

Troy,

Thanks for your response.

Actually I made some good progress today in Mexico Bay :yes:

Just got back from the lake and the Trout fishing is phenominal.

I will be posting a new thread on it tomorrow and I will definatley pm you also.

Right now I'm suffering from jet lag after 2 days fishing solo and the long ride home.

Thanks

Glen