Moor Sub troll

Setting up a Moor Sub-troll wondering what works best for everyone. Is 150lb test coated the norm? How many ft of cable are you running on the rigger? Which Antenna works best? I have both just wondering which one I should install. How deep can I expect to go and still get readings? Thanks

Hi steal,

first, you want to replace the entire rigger cable with the coated (it almost sounded like you were thinking of splicing the coated onto the end of your existing, sorry if I misunderstood) You want a minimum of 200' of cable. I have a Depth Raider (same technology just with a digital display) and last season replaced my 6 year old coated cable with a 300' spool of coated.

What antenna options are you considering? It kind of depends on what brand rigger you have. I have Scotty riggers and the stock antenna that comes with the DR is big enough diameter that the Scotty autostop beads slide right through. I believe that Big Jon's may have a similar type of autostop setup. I believe Cannons sense when the cable breaks continuity with the water, etc.

I've had my DR probe over 160' down and haven't lost signal.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks.. I wont be splicing. I have heard that the more cable you have on the weaker the signal gets. Is that true? Two options for the antenna that I am aware of. One looks like a small diameter spring the other is bigger around and a solid tube. Wondering which one works better. Has anyone tried both? I have Cannon riggers.

the bigger around, solid tube antenna is actually a modification of a Scotty Black Box pickup and is an option for folks like me that have riggers with an autostop bead to shut the rigger off, not needed on your Cannons, the smaller diameter coil antenna works just fine.

Like I said I have 300' of coated cable on my probe rigger and was down deeper than 160' last summer without signal loss, so I'd guess that the weaker signal thing is just a rumor

(probably perpetrated by those fish hawk people :P )

Tim

I run the sub-T. 150 Lb is good. DON'T get the heavier 200 Lb...Blowback is a bit'h with that stuff. I've been down 120 ft with no loss of signal. (I don't think I've ever fished deeper than that)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Torpedo makes a copper core, stainless cable that works very well for this application. With this setup you don't need to deal with coatings breaking or getting damaged. The center core and outer stainless has an insulator in between. With the upgraded pickup it will work down to 300 ft. With the stock pickup coil you should be good to at least 150. It's not on their website yet, but give them a call at 585-703-5247 or email [email protected]. They can steer you to a shop that has it in stock.

I've got the stock coated cable on my rigger for my subtrool. I usually take the time at the beginning of every season to strip off 5 feet of cable, and reterminate it. That's usually wear a lot of the abuse takes place, and I do this on all my riggers. For the depths we typically fish at on Lake Ontario, the coated cable works great, and I've never lost signal while fishing the probe deeper than a 100 feet.

I had a chance to look closely at the new torpedo downrigger calble with the copper wire it in. It's a great idea, but it has a pretty larger diameter and would be conducive to blow back.

• 3 weeks later...

The Torpedo Diver cable is actually smaller in diameter than the coated cable. Also it has been tested with the Torpedo Diver antenna down to almost 500 ft on Lake Michigan last summer with zero signal loss on the Moor Sub-Troll and Depth Raider. For next year I think the Depth Raider will include the Torpedo Wire.

It may im not real familar with the cannon unit

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Well my coated cable I have a got from fish307 and it's for a moor. Ill have to look into it. How much is this cable

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png