Kicker for Trophy 1802wa

f1sh-0n

Im really close to pulling the trigger on a trophy 1802 walk around with a 135HP optimax. I have never owned a kicker (just thrown out bags) but I think I will be needing one for this boat. What Horsepower should i be looking at? I was thinking either a 6 or an 8 but I'd like to hear from you guys. And I guess because the Optimax is direct injection that i will want to run a four stroke to run off my main gas line, correct?

Running a 4 stroke would be good on that boat since it mixes the oil for the main but there is straight gas in your tank. I have a Trophy 2002WA that I bought last summer. I use a 15 hp 2 stroke because that is what I had. I have to carry an extra can of mixed gas for it. Never used a kicker before either. I always had an i/o that would troll nice. I have a set of buggy bags but do not want to put the hours on this motor so will use the kicker instead. Can't tell you how much you need as my 15 is overkill but works for me. 6 or 8 should be great for that size of boat but I personally don't like to go too small and would go for the 8 but that might be just me. Just got an EZ steer at a boat show so will be putting that on for spring fishing.

The 9.9 Yamaha is great, not much or any advantage of a smaller one. The fact that the 9 charges and keeps the battery's up is a big plus. The gearing of the kickers goes a long way to eliminate the need for HP tweaks. They also use a totally different prop made for pushing heavy things slow, but will not push anything very fast.

I was wondering about the whole alternator issue. So in hearing the responses i guess most of you are charging using the kicker. In the past fishing on my friends boat we use to just start the main motor every few hours to charge back up. i am looking at a smaller boat for the ct river with a 9.9. Would it be feasable to use the motor on both boats without a huge hassle? And how about kicker brackets? Any opinions? Tia.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I push 2159 hardtop trophy with a 9.9 Yamaha no problems love it. Mine just has the regular prop on it as well, not the steep kicker motor prop. I have no problem getting slow enough without bags. Consider the fact that a 8hp is not really that much cheaper than a 9.9. Also no worries if you buy a 9.9 without a charging system you can add the parts to the yammies for the charging system for around 100 bucks. I also am a huge fan of the digital servo driven throttle controllers they are awesome precision throttle adjustment from the helm with a turn of the dial....

TD

i have a 125 hp merc salt water oil injected on a 21ft cruiser and run a 8hp four stoke honda that runs off the main fuel line just fine, great cause it doesnt put any use on the main motor and trolls all day long keeping a steady charge on my batteries so i can listen to tunes, play with riggers and not worry bout being stuck in BFE on Ontario, also a great secondary insurance policy. Its a pull start but has a charging alternator, weird.

I was wondering about the whole alternator issue. So in hearing the responses i guess most of you are charging using the kicker. In the past fishing on my friends boat we use to just start the main motor every few hours to charge back up. i am looking at a smaller boat for the ct river with a 9.9. Would it be feasable to use the motor on both boats without a huge hassle? And how about kicker brackets? Any opinions? Tia.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

My 15 HP on my Trophy does not have a charger but I am looking into getting one put in. Right now I start the main every so often to charge the battery. Not a big deal as I do have 2 batteries and could start off the other one if I ran one down to long. But if you are going to buy a kicker go with the worry free option of having it charge your batteries will running electronics and riggers.

My boat weights in at around 3500 lbs and I have a 8hp top speed about 6mph. I would recommend one of the High Thrust kickers with electric start , remote controls and tilt. ( i fish solo a lot and it's nice to control the motor from the helm, especially in rough weather) They have a bigger prop for more bite and a lower gear ratio in the lower unit so run at a higher rpm which is better for charging .

I am also a big fan of the solid mount brackets , the 4 strokes are heavier then the 2 strokes and need a pretty hefty bracket. If you mount the motor on a bracket that doesn't move you can connect it to the main with a steering link and never have to mess around connecting or disconnecting the steering.( the steering links never seem to float)

I added a nipple to my water separator filter and added the fuel line from the kicker to my main tank .

Good Luck !

Picture_041.jpg

• 2 weeks later...