Oneida lake "freak" Yellow Perch...pic

choo-choo

I posted a pic of this multi striped yellow perch on Ice Shanty....I thought you guy's here might like to see it.....I caught it a couple of winters ago , ice fishing on Oneida lake , and just found it while cleaning out my freezer.....sorry for the freezer burn, but you can still see the stripes well....

P1000580.jpg

P1000579.jpg

Hey Panfisher.....I'm glad you liked the pics.....Most yellow perch have 6 or 7 stripes, as you know,.....depending on the lake. So when this one came through the hole, i couldn't believe it !!! I thought about getting it mounted, because i will probably will never catch another one like it....but never got around to it......maybe i'll wait for a 12 inch, 20 striped perch!!

• 3 weeks later...

The perch wasn't very big - about 8 or 9 inches and was in the middle of spawning. Milt was spewing out constantly. I am surprised he took the time to eat something. The bars are non existent and instead there are irregular blotches. His mouth looked like a perch's mouth. No extra teeth or anything. I caught him in a spot where there were normal looking perch there too. If he was a 15 or 16 incher, he would have been mounted. Too unique to pass up on that.

If the fish are going to start mutating, I would perfer that they get bigger instead of changing coloration.

Seriously...! Never caught perch with colorations like those specimens.... If anybody else has caught crazy looking perch ( or for that matter, any other species that is highly unusual looking), and has true photos ...not gags... would u please post them? Really interesting....

• 8 months later...