Marine vs. automotive oil filters

Misty IV

Are there any differences in the marine & automotive oil filters? I've noticed the MerCruiser oil filters specified for my 4.3L have gone up significantly in cost. The oil filters for an automotive 4.3L (look identical to the marine, just different color and sticker) are quite a bit less expensive. Are there any internal differences, such as relief valve pressure, filter material, etc.) that require me to use the marine units? Does anyone use a standard Purolator, WIX, etc. automotive filter on their engines? Thanks for the input!

I run regular baldwin filters. I think the only difference is the cans on the marine filters are thicker to withstand rust from high moisture areas of some bilges. I f you change oil every 50 hours and use your boat like I do you will be fine.

Jim

I have always been a fram guy. Till I heard they have a tendency to blow out. I was told to run wix. I am installing an oil filter relocation kit This weekend. Could only get fram filter yesterday for it but I will for sure put a wix on it ASAP

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

We ran auto oil filters all season, but we are changing them out after every 10 trips. We have been running the Fram filters with no issues, and that came off a recommendation by them Rochester Trojan guys.

The difference between an auto filter and a marine filter is the paint used has corrosion inhibitors. This is for salt water boats.

I do alot of both Marine engine and Auto engine work. Fram filters are about the cheapest made out there and consistently end up at the bottom of the list for reviews year after year, right next to Hastings. I was a Fram user for years until a friend had one blow apart, and then I did some research. Purolator, Wix, Baldwin, AC Delco are always in the top 5 performing and constructed lists each year. I use Napa Gold filters on everything......my boats, tractors, trucks, mowers, equipment....everything. They are made by Wix.

Tons of information online on this subject, its been a hot topic for years.

FWIW...I have experimented, on and off, for the past two years with the "high end premium" filters. They are usually 2 to 3 times the cost of a regular filter but I seem to be changing much "cleaner" oil. Haven't decided if the extra cost is worth it but I know I feel better about it. ;)