Walleye trolling line

Nalod

I am setting up a couple rods for walleye trolling next year. I plan to spend some time running boards on Erie and on Chautauqua. What line should I be looking at? I was going to run 14-20lb flouro, but am wondering if Erie has the same problem that Ontario has with Sea Fleas.

What type of line and weight are you all running?

Thanks,

--Joe

I run 12lb Maxima Ultragreen, it's a co-polymer, slightly less bungy than mono, it's without a doubt stronger than big game and won't fray like mono, its also much more abrasion resistant due to the woven plastics that get put into the line when they make it, if you use it with planer board clips it won't wear into the line either from constant clipping like when using an OR-18, stray steelies won't bust this line either even large fish over 10 pounds.. No need for flouro leaders it's pointless and just another connection to weaken or fail.

Landshark and K-gone....I have always run main line to barrel swivel to 5/6 foot leaders and terminate with a small snap, like Walleyeyemagic.....How do you keep your line from twisting using spoons etc.? Are you just running your main line to a snap , or a snap swivel?

Thanks to everyone for their input. It looks like I was waaaay off with my original line choice. I have a large spool of 12lb big game mono laying around here, so i may just try that this year and see how the first couple trips go...thanks again!

--Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Change of plan...I ended up coming across a 1/4 lb spool of Ande's pink line, so I picked it up and am going to give it a try. Thanks again to everyone for all of your input. I am getting pretty excited that the walleye season is only a month away!

--Joe

• 2 weeks later...

If you troll worm harnesses definately make sure you have a swivel to stop twist up from the blades rolling or from sheephead or silver bass rolling on the end of your setup.On stick baits swivel between main line and leader and small cross lock snap at connection end,do not put swivel with snap at the end of your leader on stick baits.This will add weight and dive curve and the action will be different working off the swivel.I use jet divers with 10 ft seaguar fluorocarbon leader in 10 lb test,gibbs weights 50 ft up the main line,size of weight changes with position of the sun as suspended eyes drop deeper.

Long lining at night I use 12 lb test Maxima a micro swivel between main line and 10 ft seaguar fluorocarbon 10 lb test leader.But when using floating rapala's i do not use a crosslock snap,I tie a rapala loop knot.

http://www.learninghowtofish.com/pages/ ... -knots.php