conesus,3/14

took the canoe out for awhile today. fished around the state launch for a couple hours and had one lazy follow. then i went down to the car top launch at the south end. then i went back to the state launch where i left my paddle. once i got out i thought i was gonna kill 'em. there were pike everywhere in the shallows. i had about ten follows but no eaters. there were pike all around just laying on the bottom. gave up around 2. i checked out the inlet on the way back.

0314121413a.jpg

0314121411a.jpg

0314121403a.jpg

there were lots of pike in the creek. in some low current areas there were a bunch of small tigers. that's one in the upper right of the last photo. they don't seemto have have grown any since last fall.

oh yeah I see it in the last photo... just kidden bad pic lol but common they did'nt seam like they grew since last fall? most likely not the same fish... I don't know why I said that.. they grow big time every year especially the young ones..

Last day to go chase them before May 5th. I was there Sunday and Monday. Lots of small pan fish in the lower inlet. water is low and way clear. I caught a 30 incher on Sunday but nothing would take on Monday. We need rain. My general rule is if you can see the fish, they can see you so much better. I saw the tigers up by the swamp as well. Is this where they are released?

Prespawn fish sometimes don't move much. Try a white jig'n'pig (white eel trailer) or a darker pattern, dropped on the bottom in front of their nose. Gently tingle it like you would for bedded bass. :yes::yes:

008.jpg

i watched the dec stock them last fall. they load 'em in boats and take 'em all over. i was surprised to see them the same size 5 months later. maybe they don't grow in the winter or maybe they stocked some more since then? it was good to just get out and see some fish again. with this weather it's hard to believe the season closed today!

I guess I can understand why they wouldn't grow a discernable amount. They are warm(er) water fish so their metabolism slows dramatically in cold winter water. I also read that a lack of ice (like this winter) will actually allow the water to get colder than it would with ice cover.

I've had similar experiences in past pre-close outings on seneca. Shallow fish - some interested, but all lazy.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png