Down the chute question

This may be a dumb question, but one that has kept me from trying. A lot of people mention running a long line, either lead core or copper, down the chute off back of boat for extra line in water. If you are running riggers off corners of boat and divers off sides, how do you keep rigger or diiver lines from tangling with long line off back when you have fish on? Seems fish will swing to back of boat and rise, likely running into long line off back. Maybem I'm overthinking this? Thanks!

Tim Bromund has a picture of what I'm about to explain. You can use a big pike bobber with a release on it and cip it to the backing and let it out behind the boat. When you get a fish on, you can let it out further behind to boat to keep it out of the way. On my boat, I prefer to use boards to keep the chute clear.

P8100007.jpg

4" foam muskie quick strike rig float. since I took that pic, the OR8 release has been replaced with the little red OR16 snap weight release with the pin in the middle of the pad so it cant release.

this works best if you have a hard top or radar arch with rocket launchers to get the rod up and out of the way.

I also use boards some myself, but especially on the longer coppers, not sure why, for whatever reason, the chute deployment on the pike ball seem to take a lot more shots than off to the side.

we've been using this rig for many years when trolling shoreline browns, put a stickbait back 30-40 feet, clip on the pike ball and you can run that 200+ feet behind the boat and not hang bottom like you would if it was directly flat lined. That tail gunner picks up a LOT of fish that moved off to the side as your boat goes by and tucked back in behind the boat after you have passed.

Tim

couldn't find just the float in the 4"

Here's a 3" one

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/p ... ipBobbers3

otherwise do a search for the Joe Bucher's Magnum Quick Set rig (on that same site) it comes with the hooks and steel leader and is around 10 bucks, but has the 4" float. I'd bet the 3" ones work just as well, though.

Tim

Years ago the quick strike rigs used to be on the rack at Richards Sporting Goods

if you will put a search in for shark floats you can get them in 3 by 6 rigged with a snap or not these work great for this application and hold up forever with a little care you should be able to find them for under 5 bucks and as always good fishing this year :beer:

These float setups are pretty simple to make with a high quality styrofoam 4" ball from a craft store. I painted the 3" one I use for browns black. If you run a long copper with a big flasher it will put a lot of drag on the line and can cause the 4"ball I use w/ coppers to slide some so make sure you use a 0R-18 release. Like Tim said this whole procedure works much better if you can get this rod up in the arch.-Andy