Fishing Canandaigua from shore?

Hi guys!

With so much nice weather the last couple of weeks, my wife and I got the urge to do some fishing, and we drove the 30 miles or so to the public pier area at the north shore of Canandaigua lake this evening. It was a beautiful evening for mid-March, and we spent a couple hours casting Little Cleo's and Swedish Pimple-looking spoons into the very, very clear and shallow water at the park. Unfortunately, we didn't have a single hit, but in the time that we were there we saw three positively trout-like fish swim right by us, totally uninterested in our spoons, of course. That spot is VERY busy with cars and foot traffic other than fisherman, which I don't think was helping.

So, my questions are:

Does anyone think we are wasting our time trying to cast spoons for trout/salmon from that public pier at this time?

Is there any other public spot on Canandaigua, Keuka, or any other nearby lake that would offer us a chance at trout from shore?

Can anyone suggest the best time of day to try, and what spoons/lures/bait would you suggest?

Thank you very much for any thoughts or input!

-CatFisher

They have been catching lakers from the docks at the Village Park in Hammondsport.

When I launched my boat there last week, I saw 3 guys land 4 trout in the short time it took me to launch.

When I returned to shore a little after noon, there were 5 or 6 fishermen there and I saw them net a couple more.

I think your wasting your time on the north end of Canandaigua for trout. Your best bet for some trout would be like the previous post at Ononda on Canandaigua or on Keuka in Hammondsport or at Keuka state park in Branchport. Several times have seen guys pulling in lake trout while we were launching at the state park. Or try Sampson state park on Seneca, they have been catching browns right off the break wall (bring a long handled net though).

Hey guys!

Wow, thanks for the great suggestions! We think that northern park on Canadaigua is a waist of time too because it's so shallow and busy with traffic, but it sounds like that Ononda Park would be a good spot to try. We've never been there, so we want to ask if it's definitely open to the public for shore fishing? And what is typically the best time of day to try for trout?

I have been reading reports of Keuka all week. To be honest, we're more familiar with Keuka, but it's a longer drive for us. However, it does sound like there's small lakers just waiting to be caught down there. Would our chances be better making the drive to Keuka rather than Canandaigua?

Thanks again!

-CatFisher

Catfisher,

Pretty sure Ononda is open to the public there is a phone # in the above link for Ononda park, I think Ononda is a state park but I would think if you called the # they could tell you what you need to know. I know with the state launch being closed for construction they have been letting people launch out of Ononda so you might run into some boat traffic. Good luck if you go .

Tom

ononda is owned by the town and has a fishing dock open year round. I fished the north end today with little luck but ran south and put 3 in the boat quicky. No doubt Keuka is going to be your best bet for shore fishing but I have seen some great trout caught from the dock at ononda on live bait.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

You know, casting from shore from off East Lake rd on CANADICE LAKE has done very well for me before for bows and some browns....mostly rainbows. I've heard of a laker or two caught likewise. Little Cleo spoons and Rapalas have worked for me. In another few weeks the smallies will pick up in the same places as the trout move away from shore. Again, as an all-around bait I like Rapalas in silver or gold. The original floaters work but are hard to get distance from shore so Flatraps and Countdowns cast better. Be prepared to replace them in case you snag off as 6lb. test is the ticket.... I'd say sevens and nines or even fives work well. The free permits are no longer required here or at Hemlock as they are now state owned, but still Rochester water supply reservoirs.