primer bulb

emtystringer

I have a problem every year in that i have to replace the two primer bulbs that sit in the wash of my boat because they get hard and you can't pump them to prime the fuel to the motor. Does any one have a suggestion on how to keep them from getting hard? I would think they should last more than one season.

In the 1990's, I owned a sea nymph with a 70hp evinrude. Had the same problem.

Recall that the mechanice told me the only real way to try to prevent it was to disconnect

the hose, elevate it for the winter so the fuel drained back into the tank.

That was more hassle then it was worth, so I just kept an extra bulb on board, and changed

it out about every other year.

John

• 2 weeks later...

It's all about the materials in the rubber. I have been changing mine out every other year on my river boat because of that problem yet my large boat still has the one on it that came with the boat when I bought it used in 99. It is always plyable even in cold WX. The Attwood ones are hard in cold WX right out of the box and get real bad in one year. I say when it is time to replace my big boats bulb, I will buy OMC for that reason and I'm not the kind of guy that pushes OEM equip. In racing, general auto repair, and marine there are lots of sub par products out there in the lines of plastic, rubber, and sealing products "gaskets, O-rings & sealants"

I have been bit many times because of them. Valve stems for tires and wiper blades are 2 easy ones off the top of my head. I just replaced my water pump on my 88hp. I put OMC in it back in 99. When I disassembled it, it was still good. I looked on the impeller and to my surprise I saw the LORD logo on it. Lord builds Engine mounts for Aircaft Pratt & Whitney engines. Just remember your OMCs and Mercs ect. get a lot of their sub-components from other venders. We all know They don't have oil refineries to make their oils, & lubes nor do they make thier gaskets, hoses, ect ect. Sometimes OEMs make mistakes and choose poor vendors for thier products as well. Examples: Late model Cannon DWN rigger pwr cords insulation falling apart in 3 yrs. MY 1984s still have original. Skidoo carb intake boots fall apart in 3 yrs. We all just have to wade through it and forums such as this help bring light to the truths and falisies.

i run small boats....johnboats and cartopper and deep v row/outboards and i always change primer bulbs every year.....the last thing i want on SENECA Lake during the spring fishing season before the lake warms, is to smell gas and see a leak in my dryrotted primer bulb. then hear my kicker go ....brappbrap poof. lol 20 bucks for a fresh bulb and a guarenteed safe day on the lake with no coast guard chopper rescues.....hmmm priceless. :lol: