Best Tackle for Spring Kings

If anybody out there has any help plz feel free to respond. This being my first spring up at Lake O im woundering what is the best to run for kings. I see alot of guys talking about sticks not really a whole lot about spoons or flies. Just wandering what is goin to help me up there. Im coming up last week in April hopefully nice weather.

I did not realize that thank you for clearing that up. So then in your oppinion what is better for kings up there during the spring..bigger spoons, smaller spoons or flies ?

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Topeye,

This is a tough question to answer at this point. The week end that you are coming is not a normal king run. Normally the kings do not hit Niagara until May, however this year lake erie did not freeze which may change the whole fishery this spring.

There are 3 majoe events taking place from May 4th - June 3rd (LOC, WIT and the new Pro/AM). These are all big dollor events so many fishermen will develope lock jaw on what lures are hot and where the fish can be found. My suggestion is to search this web sites past posts and you will find a lot of usefull info to help you. This web site is the very best tool you will find on helping fishermen fish but there are times when tournaments come about that the info gets slim to none. Search previous fishing reports and threads. Many many time this question has been asked and there is very good info to help.

Think flashers, green baits, wire line, boards, copper and leadcore, and focas on water temps.

Shade

Thanks for the quick replies and you said that the kings usualy run in May but im hoping that because of the winter we had the water gets warmer quicker and will turn on the bite alittle sooner. I wanted to go ahead and enter the Major events you were talking about so when i go up in april depending on my success i might join. Thanks for all the info you guys come April i will have a fishing report for you guys.

So do you guys have any tips on water temp how many fow I should be in mph on my troll any knowledge so I can try to make it a better season than last. I'm just trying to figure things out up there how to run all my rods, lure choices on that day...ect

My guess is by end of april this year it will be an all spoon and flasher fly bite.The early bite on stickbaits can be real good cause stickbaits imitate smelt.smelt spawn earlier than alwives then disperse onto the lake.That will happen earlier then ever this year cause of warmest winter/spring ever.Stickbait bite will be done this year by mid april in niagara bar area. For Kings from late april till end of season my experiece has been use alot of green and glow. Double crush sindocs with hammerflies or noseeuns also mountain dew crush glow spindocs with same flys.Run these combos of your wire divers. Spoons can get hot,I'd run em of riggers.Atleast half spoons should be mags.Colors, NBK,Spooks with green ladders or purple ladders.If you have a probe target 42 to 48 degrees,down speed about 2.5mph. My prediction is Kings on Lake O. will be bigger then ever cause of warm spring/winter.Good luck!Expecting a great season!!

Thank you for all that info..I had read things about what what spin docs and flies are hot and I just bought Mtn dew spin doc and file with bunch of dif greens and the spoons I went out and bought more mags and have the ones you mentioned. I don't run wire line should I maybe look into running some..I run four rods but would maybe like to run more if someone had a good system. Thank you for all the info

A dipsey rod of each side of boat can be very very productive. Line counter reels with either 30 lb. mason 7 strand wire or 30 lb. power pro is the way to go.Dipseys are usually set somewhere between a #1 and a#3. Many run 4 dipseys at one time. Twol of each side of boat on different settings with different amounts of streech.

Start looking at the north shore reports as they start hitting kings first which is mostly a spoon bite, then they will move to the can and niagara river. With that said, as someone else said this year may be different.

I have one dipsey on each side and I was planing on running 40lb mono..I already lined some reals but do have two with wire..it was just a pain that's why I stopped

Try using the 19 strand wire, it can be tied just like mono and is almost as forgiving. Very easy to work with. Once you fight a king on wire, you will be hooked!