What do you consider a wall hanger?

Take a picture & throw it back, so someone else might have the thrill. I have one mount, a 17 lb steelhead I caught around 1979, and have caught a good amount that were bigger. The rest of my " Trophy" fish are all memories stored in my brain. I rarely take pics anymore unless it's a hog or a friends. You guys do as you wish & more power to you but as for me, I don't need a wall full of mounts. Besides ,if I were to get all the huge fish mounted that I catch, I would be broke!!!!!!!!!1

I can't believe some guys have such specific numbers like this. In my opinion, it's your money so you can mount anything you want if it has special meaning to you. Maybe it was a fish you caught on a special lure, a fish you placed in a tournament, or something you caught or killed during a special time in your life.....if it's special to you than mount it. FWIW, I have many, many fish and deer mounts and many are trophies, but my favorite is still my dad's 26# king he cuaght 10 years on Lake Michigan that I proudly display since he passed away a few years ago.

If you wait until you catch the 35# king, 18# steelie, or 22# laker for a mount, you might have a lifetime of regrets.....

This isn't meant to offend, it's simply meant as my opinion,

- Chris

Well put Chris!

It all depends on the beauty of the fish and how it relates to my previous catches. I try to always "up it" a notch from previous catches. The first King I ever had put on my wall weighed 33lbs. At the time I caught it, I was still trolling out of my old 18' Starcraft center console and the cooler I had was the largest I could fit inside the boat. The King didn't fit inside the cooler, so that was one thing which made me want to put it on my wall. People walk into our lakehouse living room and that King greets them. I'm still waiting for that 40+lber to make it inside the boat, though... :)

After reading all these posts I have to agree with all of them. "To Mount or Not To Mount. That is the Question."

A question I am struggling with now. To get a replica of a 30 inch (10lb) walleye I caught in December last year. I wish I could bottle up the euphoria I had when I first laid eyes on the fish. I hear often that it should have been mounted. Will it mean as much to me when I catch a bigger one. I do not know. The subject header is spot on. What do you consider a wall hanger? I set the bar high for me because, personally, I like memories more and it balance is skewed because the cost of the taxidermist. I am sure almost everyone who reads this can tell a story (or many) that represents much more accurately what happened that specific day. This is why I have to read the fishing reports. I don't even like trolling, or ice fishing, or musky fishing, but I love to read and hear the reports. I am addicted to it...

I set standards that I have to meet because if I went by stories and how special the catch was, I would have way more fish on the wall, no room for more, and no money left. I currently have 7 with another at the taxidermist now. All of them have been at or above the standards I have set for myself. I hope to fill the king, Coho and atlantic in the next few years. I have a laker, steelhead and a brown in my collection already.

I set standards that I have to meet because if I went by stories and how special the catch was, I would have way more fish on the wall, no room for more, and no money left. I currently have 7 with another at the taxidermist now. All of them have been at or above the standards I have set for myself. I hope to fill the king, Coho and atlantic in the next few years. I have a laker, steelhead and a brown in my collection already.

Ya Brian but when we go back to Quinte next year you'll be putting another walleye on the wall .... this one better be over 12 lbs.

One talks of the size of the fish, and then there's those that remember the quality of the memories surrounding their catch. I don't have a single fish mount yet, have a 38 lb King, a 23 lb rainbow, 19 lb northern, 6.5 lb small mouth and a 12.6 lb walleye, many quality pan fish. If and when the time comes to get a mount it will be a reproduction so the " trophy" can be enjoyed hopefully by another angler. Really like the tread and it shows that everyone see things differently but we are all SPORTSMEN/SPORTSWOMEN get out there and enjoy.

Ya Brian but when we go back to Quinte next year you'll be putting another walleye on the wall .... this one better be over 12 lbs.

You are correct Steve and I hope a 12 is in my future. :)

a wallhanger is a good day of fishing,with your favorite fishing partner,and something to remember someone ,like fishing with your dad,that has passed on.....the size?.....who cares! it's the memory of the trip !!