Copper wire lengths

Knowing that most guys put out all of there copper line (22', 44' 66' 88' depths)....what does one do if spooled with 400ft but only want to go 44 ft deep. I was thinking of inserting/splicing in a 5' long 50 lb mono nat 200' to allow the mono to be at my guide. I realize these are two additional knots but lets face it....line really does not see that much tension when 300 ft of line is out compared to when you have the fish close to the boat.

Any tips?

Hello Brian, I bought my copper set up last year. But I read that you should not be flat lining and having the copper bend in the eye because that will become a wear/weak point. That is why I thought maybe using 5' of mono 16 200, 300 ft to allow me to stop the copper at those points.

Retsy, I understand your reasoning for adding the mono but the copper weakening at the rod tip really isn't an issue. Varying the length of copper you let out to achieve a certain depth is a very common method.

Brian

Understood Brian but is it okay to let that "soft" copper bend in the tip eye of the rod? I was told where I purchased the set up that you should not do that because it can weaken the copper and make it even softer. I was told that most guys just let all the copper out to the braided line.

What do must guys do to let out random lengths within the copper?

Retsy, honestly I am suprised someone told you not to let the copper bend in the tip. I have been doing it for years on my chute rod like Legacy does. I know a lot of other fisherman who do also.

Brian

Thank you guys....I just wanted to make sure everyone knew what I was asking before I loose that big one or my copper line and hardware at the end.

As I mentioned, I bought my first copper rig last year for salmon but I think it will do good this year with 200' of line out (44' deep) for those suspended walleyes in Erie. 45' seams like where they want to suspend later in the season out in 60-75 fow.

I like the heat shrink concept to mark the lengths. That way I can trim it off if and remeasure / reattach if I have one of those bad days (Have to cut lines) that we all have once in a while.

Once again, thank you guys.