Batteries

dickey

Suggestions on a good marine starting battery? I had some issues last year which many of you gave some great suggestions. I swear it was the starter but I had a friend that works at a local marine shop come over and after lifting my battery up he said it was the battery. He said Sears Diehard Batteries suck and they don't have a lot of lead plates in them. I am still skepticle since my dad has owned the boat for years and has run Diehards before.

Thanks,

Rick

a friend that works at a local marine shop come over and after lifting my battery up he said it was the battery.

I'd of asked how much do 10 cold cranking amps weigh? ;)

Definitely have it load checked.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

IIRC, a lot of batteries (including diehard) are all mfgr'd by one company, basically just the labels are different and all mediocre.

interstate are made by interstate and have done me well for the price. Plenty of good reccommendations on them. Optima are the best but oh so pricey.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

When I bought my Islander back in 2005 (used), there was a DieHard starting battery in it and it is still going strong. I have since added an Interstate deep-cycle for all my electronics (4) years ago, and it takes a beating with all the electronics onboard...still going strong. I have Interstates in my car and truck and have been extremely happy with their performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. After alot of reading I am wondering if I need to just run the motor on one battery and the fish finder and radio on a deep cycle? I have everything on the marine battery. I thought that since I troll 90% of the time that the battery was recharging while the engine was running. I do some bass/pan fishing with the kids and run the fish finder and radio with the motor off. Should I have one marine battery for the motor and deep cycle for the electronics?

Thanks again for all your help!

Rick

I run my fish finder and radios off my starting battery and never had a problem. just start the engine every hour or so and run the engine and charge up the battery. Putting a 2nd battery wouldnt be the worse idea but you would have to rewire things and may be a complete hassle. I have an extra battery on my boat for my electric trolling motor where worse case scenerio i can just my starting battery with the 2nd battery...or start my kicker motor. It might be a cheaper and better idea to get one of them jump box's to jump your battery if you drain the battery im sure it is cheaper to buy one of them over buying a new battery. Just make sure the jump box is charged before you go out.

while load testing batteries can show you if its bad or not, I have load tested many batteries, what do you think starting an engine does. Too many people jump right to a bad battery. How about that charging system? :beer:

An 83 60 hp is probably not throwing out many amps from the alternator at trolling speed. If you are running a lot of elec stuff , the alt is not keeping up w/ the load IMO. Get another battery . I have 2 of Walmarts biggest. Haven't let me down yet. I don't have an ALT on my bass boat , so I ,without fail, Charge both after & before any outing. Get one of the new chargers that have dig readout, 50 bucks or so .

When I bought my Islander back in 2005 (used), there was a DieHard starting battery in it and it is still going strong. I have since added an Interstate deep-cycle for all my electronics (4) years ago, and it takes a beating with all the electronics onboard...still going strong. I have Interstates in my car and truck and have been extremely happy with their performance.

I'm with you guys on the Interstates.

Run nothing but in all our trucks. cars, boats, wheelers, etc.

Even use the AAA's, D's and 9V's.

Helps being an Interstate Dealer. :yes: