planer boards for planer mask

I have a homemade planer board on one side of the boat and the other a wille pro ski, the pro worked great, the homemade one ran alright not as good as the pro ski did, but I could not get my line to side down to go out at all maybe 10ft-15ft, the pro ski I could run my line out to the board if I wanted to? I had real heavy mono on the mask to the planer boards, I just bought some planer board tow line to try, not sure if it will make a difference or if I should make a new board. I was using shower curtains steel rings with rubber bands

Tough to be sure without seeing it in action but If both had the same line on and one worked and the other didn't then that's not the root cause, but could have exacerbated it. Were both boards running at the same angle out/back from the boat? Not enough angle down and/or back could be part of it. More likely, my suspicion is that your homemade board was not pulling hard enough 'out' to the side to keep the tow line taught, so the tow line bowed back via lure drag and the ring was effectively was at the furthest point out/back. A stiffer tow line might help somewhat but I suspect you need to correct the board. Just my .02

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Your board is not the cause. Cord/mono could be. Mono stretches. If it still happens with the tow line then after you've let your release out, say to port, then just very slightly turn to port and the drag from the lure will pull it right out. My tow lines are usually tied off at about 42" above water line & have never had problems getting them out to the board. (50-60 ft out) One other tip, when letting them slide out, keep your rod tip high.

Tom B.

(LongLine)