best downrigger release

fished the seneca derby last year for the first time and had a blast, going to fish it again this year. we did ok but couldnt get a fish to pop the release just saw the rod bouncing every time. i use blacks releases and loosened it as lose as i could still wouldnt pop. was just wondering what you finger lake guys use for releases or any suggestions on how i could tweak the blacks. thanks in advance

Are you putting the line in the release correctly? Are you twisting the line prior? How about enough twists. I usually use 6-8 twists and have never had a problem. The rubber band works great too. Another good release is the Chamberlin.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Tom, A friend of mine uses chamberlins. They work decent. But im stuck on the blacks. Why change..Ya know.. But one benefit the Chamberlin does give is the fact that when a cheater goes, you know its a release!!

bhotz85,

I had the same issue with Blacks...very frustrating.

I switched to Chamberlain's and they work great. I keep the upper adjustment pretty tight so I can crank down on the rod. I do get a few small shakers on the sliders every once in a while. I keep the bottom adjustment light and never had a problem with a release on the smallest of trout. I would recommend Chamberlains.

I have Blacks now and have had good luck with them, I just like the idea of being able to adjust the tension both ways to the rod and to the lure. The way mine work sometimes (the blacks) is when a fish hits but not hard you see the rod tip slowly go up and back down and I don't mess around either way I check the rod and usually its a fish.

Tom

I would say that I set my Blacks release to a similar release tension as my dipsys. If I was fishing the fingerlakes where smaller fish might not pop the release, I would consider the Chamberlains or Scotty's. The Scotties have that tether that shows small shakers. Nothing wrong with a release not popping on small fish IF you see the bouncing rod and are not dragging a fish. In fact your hook up ratio will be better with a tighter release. Lets face it.......Lakers ain't Kings!

I use blacks, put the 5or 6 tight line twists then a couple of streached out loose ones .. That gives me the tightness to crank the rod down and a long enough tag from the release to show a shaker.

I use blacks and light trolling rubber bands. Half hitch the first rubber band 4 times then the second band one time up against it. Put it in a blacks with the tension set high load the rod up so it’s almost in the water. No blow back, great hook sets, you can see if you have a dink on the line and the bands don’t break. Makes re setting easy you never have to measure just let line out to the rubber band and put it back in the release.

i think im going to try the rubber band on the blacks or run a pinch pad off the ball. thanks for all the info guys. also do yo guys ever run cow bells? forgot to bring mine last year to try. there my go to on lake O for lakers.

I use blacks...I use the scotty's to hold copper on the big boards. Those chamberlains are sweet wayne...you'll like em!

like was said earlier, you can adjust the pole side also...either tight to crank the rod down, or light for those cayuga landlocks on the sliders.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I have used blacks for years and a lot of times they wont release on small fish or lakers. Ran them last year tightened down with rubberbands and had a lot better success. Didn't miss but a couple releases, and you can see the small ones that don't release. For a few bucks for a few hundred at staples I would try that first. Bill

I used Blacks for years but switched to Chamberlains couple years ago and they are great. They also make a stacker that works the same as the regular release.Can't find them local you can order direct. www.chamberlainrelease.com

Price includes shipping and no sales tax. Got questions, call him. Man answers his own phone. Doesn't get any better than that.