Vertical Jigging Lake O on Television

Last year while working for Navionics, I brought the folks from On The Water Television to Lake O. Those that get Comcast Sportsnet in New England will see just how productive Vertical Jigging can be.

The show airs on Sunday, March 25th at 10am. I am working on segments that can be aired here as well but that will take more time.

I have been vertical jigging the lake for years so nothing is new but the latest trends so THANKS to K&G Lodge and Top Gun Charters as well as Good Times Sportfishing for keeping me in the loop. In the end, most of the show was filmed in the trench where we had 30 fish days easy!

Thanks

Capt. Chris Gatley

Formerly of Navionics

Now with Daiwa Corporation

HAVE YOU EVER USED THE BUTTERFLY JIGS IN THE FINGER LAKES, THEY SEEM A LITTLE HEAVY AT ALMOST 2 OZ'S. DOES ANYONE MAKE A BUTTERFLY IN THE 1-1.5 OZ RANGE?

Yes, I have actually. Back when I worked for Shimano (now with Daiwa), they sent me to the Great Lakes right when they launched their Butterfly Jigging System. On days when it blew hard, we were forced to fish and field test the product on the Finger Lakes. We caught tons of lakers. We did not target brown trout. I fished for a 10 day period in August.

The difference between a 1 and 2 ounce jig isn't much because we are swimming the jig through the water. Think of it as a zara spook for the top water bass guy. My jig is swimming in that Zara Sppok style zig zag motion underwater vertically. But, as you go heavier, lure sizes tend to get larger which in turn, turns these fish off I think. On both lakes, 45 gram jigs are hands down the best. Followed by 55 and 75 Grams. I would not go heavier than 75 grams. Sting-o jigs out of NJ makes a 60 gram jig that performed well last year too. In fact, Ted Dobs from Lake Ontario Outdoors Magazine preferred that jig. By now, most all manufacturers are selling some sort of jig. But, keep in mind that the jig is swimming through the entire water column, not being jigged in a specific depth range repeatedly like one would say a crippled herring. This swimming of the jig has me personally looking for jigs with defined edges and planing surfaces for the best fluttering action. Not all jigs are created equal. The cutting edges and planing surfaces equate to better fluttering and swimming actions in my opinion.

Chris-

Thanks for your detailed information!

I've tried this system without success on the Fingerlakes and Ontario (we've figured out traditional vertical jigging). I think my issue is the rod.

Could you please recommend both a rod / reel combo for this lighter butterfly jigging? Also what # braid and flouro you suggest? All the online info. leans torwards have ocean equipment.

Thanks, Chris

good info who makes the 45 gram jigs I cant seem to find any, shimano?

Daiwa Sacrifice Leaf Jigs.

In an effort to go smaller than last year, I will be using Seagate 20 conventionals on Saltiga Jigging rods in the 5'10" size. You can also use spin reels but many fish hit the jig on the descent and lead to missed fish. At least for me.