Need Transom Help

bigturk_80

Hey guys,

I have a 22ft starcraft islander 4.3 I/O that is due for a transom replacement. The boat is otherwise in great shape, so I'm willing to put the work in.

Does anyone have any past experience with this job on this particular boat? Approximate cost of the job? And most importantly, can anyone suggest a very reputable guy to do it?

I don't mind doing all the grunt work to prepare the boat, but I'd like someone knowledgeable to do the actual transom replacement.

Thanks!

Kevin

Send a PM to "Big Easy" on this site. He did a complete rebuild of an old glass boat, I believe it was a slickcraft. He posted many pics of his progress, and his work was some of the best I've ever seen.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys. I got everything taken apart nicely. Fortunately, no cutting was needed. A few minor non-structural rivets needed to be drilled out to get the rear aluminum up. Lifted the old transom straight out with the engine hoist, which made for easy work. Found a great deal on 3/4 marine ply at Thruway Hardwood in Cheektowaga, and now I'm about to slap it all back together, with fresh bellows, gaskets, and gimbal bearing.

Thanks for the input guys. I got everything taken apart nicely. Fortunately, no cutting was needed. A few minor non-structural rivets needed to be drilled out to get the rear aluminum up. Lifted the old transom straight out with the engine hoist, which made for easy work. Found a great deal on 3/4 marine ply at Thruway Hardwood in Cheektowaga, and now I'm about to slap it all back together, with fresh bellows, gaskets, and gimbal bearing.

Great to hear! :beer: Time to go fishing!

I have put solid arborite it s a bit heavy but it will nerver rot , you can see it in the pic with the old transum on top,and painted it with aluminium paint it look clean and brigting up the dark place and you can see a fluid leak better. I am a car tech so i am thinking a head. you know the tricks maintenance. (you can pay me a little now or a lot later ) . Al let me know if you want more pics i got plenty