Flasher fly for Coho's

I read on here at some point in time that the smaller orange spin doctor was good for Coho's. My question is what fly is generally run behind them? I have the flasher and now want to pick up some fly's to run behind it. Also can Ho's be had in Mexico bay in early April? I am hoping to make another spring trip for browns and didn't know if it would be worth the time to target any ho's with this setup.

Thanks for any help.

Spike

Spike,

Peanut flies work good behind them. Blue and copper and green and copper have been really good for me. The peanut flies are 1" flies tied directly to the treble. Google them and you will find some.

Spike,

Peanut flies work good behind them. Blue and copper and green and copper have been really good for me. The peanut flies are 1" flies tied directly to the treble. Google them and you will find some.

Second that...

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Well I ordered a bunch from Atomik. Not sure I got the right colors. I did order a bunch of white as I remember them doing well in August. Will the coho be in with the browns in the spring or should I be looking elsewhere? Only my second time out fishing the lake in the spring, so I don't have much to go by.

Thanks,

Spike

Capt. Spike

You can find cohos in with the browns this time of year, but you probably won't find any significant numbers of them in that close with the browns. You'll probably find more cohos, if they are around, in greater numbers out a little deeper. Like 25-50 FOW, and even then they won't be deep. You will still only be fishing the top 10 feet.

Several years ago fishing out of Irondequoit Bay for browns in Mid-Late April, we made a very outside turn trying to battle boat traffic. We got out over 30 FOW, and quickly doubled up on cohos. We spent the rest of that morning catching cohos, mostly with sticks off the boards, but a few off riggers. The funny thing about it was we would knee in the back of the boat to fight fish, and net them on the side of the boat where there was no traffic. No one ever noticed what we were doing.

The fish we kept had smelt in their stomachs, and I'm sure that's why they were there, and why we did better with stick baits.

If the brown trout fishing in close sucks, it's always worth a try to find something else.

Good Luck!