Impeller question , Help please

lineman49

Just put a new waterpump impeller in a 50 hp mercury o/b. (1985) It was peeing before I changed the impeller & now it does not. Any ideas why? The old one came out in one peice, fins were just was set one way. I tried the new one with the fins going both ways & still no pee. Thanks for any ideas!

When you say "it was peeing before", Do you mean recently or last fall when you put it away? I ask this because mud dobbers plug the pee hole up on mine in the fall and I usually have no stream untill I un plug it with safety wire. In this situation the engine cyls. &heads are getting the cooling but there is no "witness stream" for you to monitor.

When you replace an impeller there is only one way to insert it into the pump. You must turn the drive shaft clock wise while you lower the pump housing onto the impeller. It is a very good idea to squirt some dawn onto the fins while inserting and do turn the drive shaft clock wise while tightening the bolts to make sure nothing get caught. If you have the fins turned the wrong way it's life will be short and it will not work right.Make sure that there are no bugs plugging the hose.

The water pump housing has to connect to the water tube that delivers the water to the block . I'm not sure, but some engines have a plastic guide tube about 2 inches long that connect the housing to the tube and some have a o-ring on the housing itself that connects to the water tube . I might check to be sure the water pump housing is connected to the water tube .

Good luck

Stiff length of wire with a hook to guide it in place, small light & a 3rd hand will do it. Make sure the grommet has some lube on it, hold the tube on the guide thats built into the top side of the housing & slide it up & on. ;) Oh & make sure the lower shift shaft & upper shift splines are lined up in forward gear so you don't have to pull it apart 51 times. :)

The only way i could get the tube back in on my little merc was to pull the side cover off and have my son guide it in with a hooked wire. I tried to push it in place first but then getting it into the pump was a pain.

Tom B.

(LongLine)