March 25,2012 - Weather related fishing

We thought of going fishing on Saturday, but the winds were to be 30KPH so we thought that the E15 on Sunday would be better.

Laker John and myself hit the water at Wellington at 0830 and had the rods in the water past West Point at 0915, the water was calm and shortly thereafter in blew the fog - couldn't see hardly 250 yards, the planer boards out 165' were visible.

On our first trolling pass, we found some water coming into the lake and the board fired, it was a funny fight as the fish was spinning and not fighting at all, John scooped the net and we had Mr LargeMouth!!!!!!!! on a Jr Thunderstick, back it went. That was weird to say the least, not expecting a LM bass in the big lake in the middle of nowhere,

As we trolled, suddenly there apeared another fisher out of the fog and heading to Salmon Point, we turned back and they disappeared into the fog. As we trolled down, patiently expecting the screaming reel, the reel began to scream!!!!!!!! Then the it stopped.....

A Male duck had flown into the line and just about flipped itself into the water, it was really funny to see theis duck cartwheeling after it hit the line. That's a first, we've had them come close but never hit the line direct.

We made several passes on out trolling line and at the same spot as before the board fired on a Smithwick Rogue, John borught the fish to the boat and when I saw the gapping mouth, he flipped it into the boat - another LM Bass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another boat appeared out of the fog and trolled by. The fog began to lift and we could see a lot further, GPS on board made us secure in the fact that we could navigate in any condition.

We decided to try something different and put of the Taildancer a waay back of the outside board, I had justed started to set the inside rod when the outer reel screamed and John was into a fish. Unfortunately, the fish was able to escape the hooks and was gone.It had been a good fish as it took the board sideways, Oh well, that's fishing.

As the sun came out, so did the increase in the winds and the weather people were correct as the southwest began to make some waves.

We heaed to the lee of West Point and the saw the mighty ship of West Lake Willow, that's an impression boat for sure.

At 1445, we decided that disgression was the better part of valour and pulled the rods and headed for Wellington, we arrived at the gut at 1600, just over an hour with the waves getting bigger as we got closer.

We saw a kayak attempting to head west to Wellington and he was having troubles, the last we saw he had gone ashore to escape the pounding waves clsoe to shore.

The days results were two for three, with the out of season bass and one unknown.

The water temps had decreased from Wednesday by 8 to 10 degrees F. The cold front had pushed those fish out into deeper water into a funk that saw very little action.

Will try again some time - Stay Tuned.

David aka Superdad

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the report,I new to the site ,so I'm finding the info interesting to read.I'm planning a trip down in middle of April from North Bay area,so looking for all the help I can find......keep on posting and stay safe on the water...........Algonquin