Pen Rearing at the Oak

For those of you willing to help with our pen rearing program we will be putting the pens together on April 7th at Lake Breeze Marina 8:00AM, bring your side cutters and a smile. This is one of the first rights of spring "at the oak"

Thanks

Bob

Sandy Creek temp is in the 52-57 degree solid range now already. With no water flow and surface creek temps as high as 68 during high sun, I would bet on that we would not risk our alotment of fish this year put in pens.

Genessee & Oak have a better chance of cooler temps still. Assuming the DEC gives us a bigger/better quality heartier fry this year.

Sandy creek (East Fork marina ) is loaded with Large/Smallmouth bass and rock bass/sunfish on spawn beds already in the main creek channel.

I have never seen a year like this before ALL in the month of March !

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Water Temp at the Oak at 4:00 PM yesterday was down to 49 degrees it had been as high as 62 on Sat. Yes we will get our full allotment in the pens as of this point in time.

Stay tune we may have to move forward on putting the pens together early for at least the Steelhead which may be delivered early next week.

Just Talked to Steve Lapan, as soon as they finish taking Steelhead egg's at the hatchery they will start delivering fish. So I believe we will have to move up the schedule for pen construction; stay tuned for further information......

So here is the Oak pen rearing update; along with every other program it looks like the DEC will be delivering fish next week. I commend them on being flexible with the current weather conditions we are seeing this year. That being the case we will need to put our pens together this Saturday March 31 at 8:00 AM at Lake Breeze Marina hope to see you there, don’t forget your side cutters!

CBS

:)

Thanks guys, for your dedication. I've been watching the temp at the Oak at the main channel, it dropped 10 degrees during that cold snap, to 47. Came back up a couple degrees today. With the return to cooler nights we may be ok in some sites. There are even more warm water predators today, and certainly a much larger Perch population than when the pen projects first started.

I think even holding the small fingerling Kings for a shorter period will make a huge difference in survival.

In the early 90's, we caught rock bass jigging from our boats in Olcott on the day the fingerlings were stocked. One "rockie" coughed up 10 fingerling Kings, and this was approx 100yds from where the plant took place.

Holding pen projects got started in St Joseph Michigan, as Walleyes were devastating the fingerlings at night, while the Salmon milled around an became acclimated. Thanks again to all who help out up and down the lake with these very important projects.