New Proposed Law Will Cripple Boating and Fishing in NY

Other states have this law. PA is one of them if I am not mistaken, and the boats out of Erie, PA would crush the amount of boats out on the south shore of Lake O on a nice summer day. I think it is smart to educate boat owners. Especially new ones.

I also think this is a good idea. I believe everyone should a boater license. To many ppl out there who dont have a clue on the rules of the road or any boater safety. i wish there was a rule that if it takes you more the 3 times to back your boat in the launch you lose you boat rights for the day.

Took my USCG Auxiliary course when I was 13 with my dad. He made anyone who would be operating his boat or any boat in the family take the course. Well worth the time, IMO.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

To many ppl out there who dont have a clue on the rules of the road or any boater safety.
:yes:

I agree, we have that law in NJ. The state only charges $6 every few years when you renew your drivers license. I think I paid $40 for the course but the state doesn't get a cut of that (well except tax I guess), it goes to the company running the course.

It really cuts down on the weekend warriors! In NJ you even need it to rent a boat.

Took my USCG Auxiliary course when I was 13 with my dad. He made anyone who would be operating his boat or any boat in the family take the course. Well worth the time, IMO.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

+1, although I haven't seen the certificate in years.

I'm absolutely down with training as it pertains to something like the CGA safe boating classes. I took the CGA class before I even took delivery of my first boat.

I have a huge problem with NYS imposing another license/fee. That would tell me it is not about safety at all, just another attempt by this POS state at picking our pockets to feed their insatiable spending addiction.

Tim

Virginia has a requirement that all boat operators under age 40 must pass a safety course by July 2013. Older age groups are gradually phased in until July 2016 when all boat operators, regardless of age, must have a boater safety card by July 2016. Boat safety is a good thing.

Boat safety is a good thing, however they were sure to include a paragraph about fees which I think is just a money grab.

If enacted, it should apply to all boats, not just motor boats. That exclusion for small boats or electrics is pure bull.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I am always willing to be properly trained for any new hobbies, job functions, etc, but this has money grab written all over it. Last year I bought an old tow truck to haul boats and stuff around. I was amazed to learn I needed an endorsement on my license for that. I want to say it cost me about $75, and taught me nothing about safe operating. One page multiple-choice test, all common sense. Total money grab.

I'm 100% for the training but 100% against the Money grab. If they impose it, it should be a one shot fee. Will it remedy issues on the water ? No!~ there will always be !$#@$^^$##@s out there but it might save a life or a boat or some tackle some day. Just grandfaTHER ME IN. dON'T NEED ANOTHER FEE!

got my boaters license at 12! after years and years of boating i personally think everyone needs to take the course. i just shake my head at a lot of "boaters"..that have no clue regarding the law. however, it is a big money bag for the state. BUT it will increase a safe boating season. my 2 cents.