New Proposed Law Will Cripple Boating and Fishing in NY

It's foolish to think that a one day boater safety course will change anything. This is just an extra hassle for boaters. It won't be any safer because of the course. This is a cash grab cleverly cloaked as a safety initiative.

I'm a USCG licensed captain with multiple upgrades. I train federal marine agents at the federal law enforcement academy and I can't tell you that you WILL NOT learn the rules of the road In a day. We teach it in a week and that's pushing it.

Cash grab disguised as safety initiative. Hassles and more red tape for boaters. The idiots will still be idiots.

Just say no.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

....and the poster that stated that a sailing vessel has the right of way even when using a small motor is wrong. The moment a sailboat uses MECHANICAL power he is immediately classified as a power driven vessel. The vessel is now under the same rules as every other motor powered vessel.

There are rules out there? Wow can someone tell about 75% of the guys on the east end this. I try to follow the laws of the water out there but if Noone else does it kinda defeats the purpose. Basically it comes down to this I think everyone should have too but it wont change a thing in late aug on the east end. Retard fest

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

There are rules out there? Wow can someone tell about 75% of the guys on the east end this. I try to follow the laws of the water out there but if Noone else does it kinda defeats the purpose. Basically it comes down to this I think everyone should have too but it wont change a thing in late aug on the east end. Retard fest

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

And like I said earlier, you can't teach anyone the rules of the road in a day. I barely can teach it to federal marine agents whose jobs depend on it in a week. Silly initiative. Cash grab, nothing more.

After seeing some of the antics on lake Ontario and other water ways in NY , I am 1000% behind this bill . I have had the certificate for years ,as has my son . We test drivers of other motorized vehicles , why should boats be any different ? There are many folks on our waterways that have absolutely no clue what they are doing and it puts all of us at risk.

After seeing some of the antics on lake Ontario and other water ways in NY , I am 1000% behind this bill . I have had the certificate for years ,as has my son . We test drivers of other motorized vehicles , why should boats be any different ? There are many folks on our waterways that have absolutely no clue what they are doing and it puts all of us at risk.

I agree, but the course will have no impact at all. Why bother? We all agree its nice in theory, but it's just not going to make a difference and after its realized that stupid red tape of a law will still be there.

At the risk of repeating myself, again. it's not about boat safety or educating boaters, I'm pretty sure everyone is fully behind that. This is about window dressing/smoke screen on another attempt by NYS to pick our pockets.

Tim

I'm not sure if this is the way to do it (money grab ) but I do think there should be some type of basic training before you head out on a boat. Always amazed me that someone can buy a 30 foot boat and just jump on and drive away. I guess this really applies to any size boat but bigger boats with twin screws are not easy to drive in close quarters.

Someone please confirm this rule for me please. Two motor vessels approaching bow to bow should pass port side to port side, correct? So if this is the rule why do some boats insist on forcing themselves to the inside when they are headed west along the south shoreline. This happens constantly while fishing browns in the spring close to shore. I always thought if this rule was to be followed then if your headed east you go closer to shore and the boat headed west would pass to the outside. Is my thinking correct on this?

Passing port to port is the preferred way to pass when meeting head on in inland waters . It is NOT a rule . Boats meeting head on , neither boat is the "stand on " boat both captains must give way .

I took the boater safety course years ago with my son . If memory serves me , it was a six or seven week course of three hours once a week . so it is not just a one day money grab . The things I learned have served me well over the years .

Does anyone really believe that the state of New York is really concerned about your personal safety? Its always about the money, just one more regulation to deal with. Most of the problems I have ever encountered on the water shows a lack of common sense or courtesy and I don't think that you can teach that.

Courtesy and common sense are a big part of navigation, I agree . The problems that i have encountered on the water show a complete lack of knowledge of the "rules of the road ' . Basic navigation skills are taught in the boater's safety course and I maintain it should be a requirement for EVERYONE who operates a boat ANYWHERE .

Courtesy and common sense are a big part of navigation, I agree . The problems that i have encountered on the water show a complete lack of knowledge of the "rules of the road ' . Basic navigation skills are taught in the boater's safety course and I maintain it should be a requirement for EVERYONE who operates a boat ANYWHERE .

chinook35

I'm sorry, I don't see anyone contesting that.

I was a long haul trucker for 45 years....Most ' truckers ' today are nothing but " steering wheel holders " They know NOTHING about rules of the road or common courtesy......But they passed the CDL test...So that says they are " professionals "....If you believe that...I have a bridge you can buy....cheap....Same goes for 'boaters " ...Their ' license ' doesn't make them a safe or knowledgeable boater.....This is one more New York money grab... :@:@

Mechanically propelled includes sail boats with motors. Most people don't have a clue about rules of the road on the water, and may remember part of it but not all. Try overtaking someone and giving the correct horn signal and see what kind of response you get from the boat your overtaking. Probably none because they don't know what your trying to signal to them.

I got my first boat when I was 17 in 1966 and took my first Coast guard course in 1973. Still have the card and certificate. Now a Coast Guard licensed 50 ton Captain.

I have done a lot of fishing and boating in PA, FL and Virginia as well as my home state of NY. and both PA and VA have a education requirement for operators of mechanically propelled vessels. Not sure about FL.

It is a good idea, but experienced boaters should be grandfathered in by taking a simple test online. If you can pass it you can get a certificate without going through the 13 week course. A reasonable time frame should be allowed for people to get up to speed with the requirement if it passes. Fees should be nominal and all funds collected should go directly to waterways, improving lakes access and conservation of waterways. NOT TO THE GENERAL FUND...... My 2 cents.

Very strongly agree with your proposed law. Too many unsafe boaters being rescued - or worse - recovered! every year on the north shore. I have been on the big water since 1955( Kingston and the islands till '76, chartering out of Port Credit since '85) and it still intimidates me. I would rather have knowledgeable young ones coming out in the future. Our small craft operators qualification is good prep - not enough but it helps.

Paul Ohlke

AuroraIII

Port Credit

Yankee Troller mentioned Pa's law, and since I'm a transplant to Upstate from south central PA and raised on the Chesapeake Bay, I felt the need to state my piece. Pa and Maryland boaters born before a certain date are grandfathered in and were not required to take the safety course. Maryland I think was pre 1976. Anyway, my point being it isn't a bad thing, or a money thing. It's about safety. I don't see the boaters up here being any worse than anyplace else that I've boated or fished. But, I also didn't need to take a special class in Pa to be able to hunt with a bow like I did here in NY. Picked up a few good pointers taking the class. I don't care if you've been on the water 50 years or 5 days. We all have habits, or lack of knowledge that having to sit through a bit of education isn't going to hurt. If you're a lifelong boater like me, consider it a refresher. If you're a new boater, consider it something that could save you're life out on the water. Just my thoughts, right or wrong!

I am in favor of less government intervention, but if this course could be offered on line or in a number of other ways, I am in favor. Money should go to a facility improvement fund(boat ramps, public marinas etc). Most of us who are NY residents, had to do this to operate a boat when we were under 16 way back when.

I took the mandatory New Jersey boating course some years back and to tell you the truth I don't remember a whole lot of what I might have been taught. What I do remember is that the reason the law was implemented was because of the ridiculous antics of jet skiers and power boaters with no regard for anything, let alone the rules of the water. There were a lot of people griping about the law. In the end I guess we are better off for it, but at the same time it was a money grab for those administering the tests. The discrepancy between the costs of the testers makes this very evident. I don't mind paying the little extra fee for my boaters license. However, I highly object to the cost of testing. It should be the same across the board.

Everyone should want to be a better boater and a safe boater too. The USCG safety course is required in the state of New Jersey and will be required here in New York very soon. I am certain we have all seen enough bad boating experience on our waters to want have everyone comply with a safety course. People will NOT be grandfathered into the rule either. Boaters should now how to navigate certain situations involving "right of way", marine radio operations, how to read chanel markers, safety and safety equipment regulations, etc.

The days of boating while drinking beer and operating a vessel are over. Boaters safety course requirements and next insurance will be the state law. For the 85% of us boaters and charter captains, this has been a long time coming and a great new law. Safe boating to all.

ok i read the proposed law with the link offered by musky bob[thanxs] from what i could tell its for 16yrs and younger and or if someone on board is 16 and is operating the boat an adult WITH a uscg is required...what did i miss???/im 40+ ive OWNED my own boat since i was 12yrs old and never had a accident...lucky..mabey..if the powers to be want to enforce this on NEW ownership..fine..exspecially bassholes who fly by a 40+mph with no regard to you ..they are the least courteous people on the water.bar none.....and so long 4 now;john

WOW !! Completely surprised that New York has not implemented this law by now !! New Hampshire the " Live Free or Die " state has had this law for many years and I just took it for granted that Ney York would have certainly had it is well! Fisherman well know the situations that arrise on the water with other boaters cutting us off ect. I now bellieve that these situations may be because some boaters just don't know the rules. Classroom lisencing may bring people up to speed on Coast Guard regulated waters, entering and exiting waterways and minimun operating distances/speeds. In short -- this will be a good thing for boaters not bad.

Does anybody know when this law would take effect. At the end of it, it said the following, "S 5. This act shall take effect immediately; provided that section one of this act shall take effect on the first of April next succeeding the date on which it shall have become a law." Am I to assume next April or what?

Thanks