Where Should I Call "Home Port"

Greetings all, I have about convinced myself to leave Champlain for good and make your lake the new permanent home for my 24' Lund, but my experience there is limited to a few trips out of the Salmon River area. I was leaning towards the Henderson Harbor area, but I wonder if being there will mean a long run south to get into trout and salmon. Planning a road trip next weekend to check out marinas, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking, Gary.

Hey mayfly! Every port on the east end has its plus & minuses. Oswego cant beat for be able to get out into deep water fairly close to shore. Less run means less fuel$$. Great spring /early summer browns...kings usually move in mid to late july. Henderson has a great warm water fishery with walleye, pike & smallmouths if that interest you? But yes a bit of a run to the trench & cold water fishing. Little Salmon River has great early season browns & close to the big Salmon River for the king run. But you still have to figure the ride down the river & the run to deep water!

Many choices....but with any place on the East end you have to figure in the wind...thats where the west end has us beat! Good luck....drop me a PM any time! I am from VT as well!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

If you consider Rochester, you must consider Sandy Creek, 15-20 minutes west from Rochester Harbor. Sandy has a nice protected marina with an armada of very good lake fisherman docking / launching here..... lots of fish "right out front" all season long.

just my $.02

I fish out of Chaumont Bay starting May 1st until late september. I start with Walleye then move onto perch and smallies. Pike are caught anytime throughout the season pretty much anywhere in the area. Henderson isn't far from where we catch and sell a LOT of perch. In a weekend we can do anywhere between 50lbs. - 200lbs. of perch. We have fun catching them and pay for the gas in the boat. There are a quite a few charters in that area for trout, salmon, and walleye. A few to mention are Lots a Limits, Moby Dick, and if your looking to just fish with someone, ME! haha either way you can't go wrong. My father-in-law and I have larger boats (21' & 23' ocean boats) but are worth their weight in gold when it comes to the chop you can get out there.

If u go to Henderson then Harbors End marina is a great place. Covered slips and the bay is a great place to hang out when u are not after the big boys. Spring browns a plentiful which then turns into great walleye fishing around all the islands on Chaumont. The best of all is the fall salmon run which ranks right up there with any place on the lake.

I consider one of the perks being the coast guard station is minutes away and easy radio distance from anywhere I fish. They "check" my boat every year at least once and although it can be a pain when you are trying to run out and fish or coming in, it doesnt take long and they have always been pleasant. It is a real peace of mind for me and my young family. The convenience of town and the best bagel and sandwich shop around is a perk too. Hotels for fishing guests and good restuarants are an added bonus. The only drawback I see is the Harbor fest traffic that infests Wrights Landing. Absolutely make a mess of the park and "Our" bathhouses. :@

I understand that they are good to have around and are a necessary thing to have. But when they give supposed safety checks 5-6 times a summer because you have a nice boat etc then it gets a little overboard. I have nothing to hide on the boat and do not mind having a check done but not everytime we come down for dinner or a concert behind the hotels.

As for Harborfest people do make a mess of the bathroom which is total disrespect. I stay at wrights for the week with my offshore boat and can't believe how much people dont care and I hope they wouldn't do that to there own house.

Another huge bonus for Oswego is probably one of the best Mexicain restaurants in the area a block or 2 from the river.

I'm surprised that you got checked so often. Im in and out of there all season and after one inspection they usually remember. Then after the first stop just show your inspection receipt and that will do it. See you out there.

Yeah they sem to be drawn to my 42 fountain like fly's LOL. Even with the receipt they still always think that you are doing something wrong or just want to check the boat out. The last few times I was cool with them and asked if I could dock first and then they could go to town and they were ok with that.

Yeah those outboards on that thing are more than enough lol

Yes, your tax dollars at work. There were five guys armed to the teeth on this rig. Sitting on 1200 ponies with a 50 caliber machine gun (so I've heard) under the hood up front. A friendly enough bunch , but they had a chomping at the bit look about them for whatever reason. :thinking:

093.jpg