2012 Pike/Tiger Opener

We need some rain...the only way to regulate Conesus is to close the gates on the north end outlet and hope we get some rain. Correct if I'm wrong but I thought last year there were no wake regulations because the water was so high?

Tom

we got out there on closing day and it was really low...not too bad since my boat isnt too deep of a hull but anything with a deep hull with be almost impossible to launch if it stays like that unless your trailer tongue is extended by about 6 feet haha

When you catch a species of fish that is not in season your to water release the fish imeadiately,no lifting out of water pictures,then your suppost to move to another area so as to not be targeting an out of season species of fish. To catch a 2nd fish of the same species from the exact same spot and that species of fish is not in season can be looked upon as targeting fish that are out of season.You can use any leader you want with your bass lure!

You can catch pike on any bait that you would catch a bass on, however, if the DEC feels you are targetting toothy creatures out of season, I do not think your gray area argument will hold up. just retie another lure. Bass has a catch and release season, so you only need to release immediately. You do not need to move after you catch one. Artificial bait only! I wish they would require fewer hook points. I hate seeing dead fish from (most likely) inadvertent gill rakes from the other treble.

This excerpt is from the DEC website:

Catch and release means catching and immediately releasing the caught fish without harm. Measuring, weighing and photographing of the fish are permitted as long as the fish is not removed from the water for an extended period or handled in a manner that could cause it harm. Fish may not be placed in a bucket, tub, livewell, on a string or any other holding device.

If you catch a bass on the drift, the longer you keep him out of the water the harder it is for him to return to his nest and the more damage to his offspring.

"A person may not fish for a species (not even catch and release) during the closed season for that species on a given water" from the NY DEC Regulations page. Yes pike will hit bass lures,if you stay in the same spot and continue to catch pike durring closed season,you can be considered targeting fish species that are out of season.

i wanna fish for bass in conesus before the pike opener, but i want to use a leader to prevent loosing lures. would DEC give a problem over that?...I mean....i'm fishing for bass, I can't help what bites.????

3 things wrong with your question.

1.) you posted on toothy fish section (which is closed season right now)

2.) you posted it under the thread name "Pike/Tiger Opener" (which is closed season right now)

3.) you want to know if it is OK to use a leader to prevent loss of lure(s). (bass don't require leaders)

There are a lot of fisherman getting pumped for May 5th (including me), so the thought of someone trying to circumvent the rules to get a headstart may be offensive to some, so I think you should have asked this question on the bass thread where you may have heard more constructive criticism.

To try to answer your question about legitimate bass fishing. You can catch and release Black bass with artificial lures. If you are obviously using a lure designated for pike/musky and/or have a robust leader, you may have an officer waiting for you when you pull your boat out. It is pretty easy to tell the difference between those that are knowingly doing the wrong thing and those who honestly do not know the rules. The DEC wirtes the ticket the same in both cases.

IMO I can not see how you can target bass with artificials this time of year in Consesus without expecting a lot of pike hook ups. I think Mostlymuskies is thinking the same thing.

agreed with both of BS and captain larry. If you would like to target bass pre-esox opener you would be better off going to a lake like honeoye or somewhere with bass and no pike then this wouldnt be an issue.

We have had quite a few pike come out of honeoye these past years, some upwards of 50''

Im not surprised at all that northerns find their way into honeoye I bet there are a lot of guys who get them from conesus or surrounding waters and toss 'em in there.

I am, however, a little skeptical to believe that they're upwards of 50"....any pics of these things? its hard enough to find 40" northerns anymore in NY let alone anything pushing 50, but I suppose if they were anywhere it would be in a place where no one fishes for them...

Im not surprised at all that northerns find their way into honeoye I bet there are a lot of guys who get them from conesus or surrounding waters and toss 'em in there.

I am, however, a little skeptical to believe that they're upwards of 50"....any pics of these things? its hard enough to find 40" northerns anymore in NY let alone anything pushing 50, but I suppose if they were anywhere it would be in a place where no one fishes for them...

I have heard of 2 pike over 40" out of Honeoye in the last 4 years. There were pics on Iceshanty.com a couple winters ago. One was taken out of Trident and the other was taken off the North end.

I heard a guy was bragging about catching pike in Conesus and dumping them in Honeoye. Everything in Honeoye is big but I do not think the pike will get huge. Honeyoe does not have enough cold water in mid summer to support slob pike.

• 2 weeks later...

Well less than 2 weeks now! Im definitely pumped to get out after some big tigers. Anyone got any updated plans yet?

May be trying the seneca river on sunday after otisco on saturday, anyone ever target the seneca purely for tigers? They dumped an ass load in there last year and have been putting at least 14,000 in the system (not including cross lake) for years now, there have to be some brutes in there.