LOC rules clarification

I am new to the board and I apologize if this question has already been addressed but, it is a question that has ben coming up for a couple of years now.

Question: Can a pole be passed off to another LOC registrant if the person on the rod gets tired? (ie. 14 year old, 63 year old) If the fish is big enough will it qualify for tournament prizes? Thank you for your help!

I may be wrong, but I believe it's the person who is holding the rod at the time the fish is netted that is considered the one who caught the fish. I'd like to see what everyone else's' opinion is on this too.

It has always been our understanding that once the fish is hooked and rod initially passed to a person to fight, they need to fight the fish to the net without pasing it off again. That's been our take, although if multiple hand-offs are allowed, we won't complain. ;)

scooter, question prompts other questions that need to be considered. To answer best you really need to call Dave Chilson at tournament headquarters at 1-588-544-2563. He will be happy to listen to your question this way you will get the corerect information. It would be a mistake to go by hearsay and have your fish DQ"d.

Just another option.

scooter, question prompts other questions that need to be considered. To answer best you really need to call Dave Chilson at tournament headquarters at 1-588-544-2563. He will be happy to listen to your question this way you will get the corerect information. It would be a mistake to go by hearsay and have your fish DQ"d.

Just another option.

I agree with Pat. Let us all know the outcome.

Hey guys I just got off of the phone with Chelsea(sp) who was at the LOC office. She called Dave directly and here is the answer. The pole CAN be passed off and the LAST person who has the rod in his/her hands is the person who caught the fish. All persons who touch the rod must be registered in the derby. Thanks again for all of your support and good luck fishing.

That is a bit odd in my opinion....look at it this way

Say the 63yr old fights the fish and then passes it off to the 14yr old who finishes bringing the fish in......is it then entered as a Youth fish?

Also anyone on the boat has to be registed for the tournament, weather they touch the pole or not(I believe)

To Off Track's last comment I think I need to beckon the Niagara Pro Am

radio call of " THAT'S RIGHT!"

Any one know who that was? I think the two main rules to remember are

all fishermen on board a boat must be in the derby and you cannot fish alone.

Also King Me aka Steve Drave posted a list of do's and don'ts before prior derbies pre site crash and I believe one of the don'ts was "Don't pass a pole off due to greater chance of losing the fish." Slack line is a no no. Just think of the $20,000 check and your arms won't be sore for long.

No problem guys! My crew and I have been at odds over this situation for quite some time. When tournament fishing my rule has been , if you touch the rod you bring in the fish no matter how tired you get. I totally realize that by passing off the rod the fish has a better chance of getting off due to slack in the line, rod position, accidentally hitting the bail release /drag adjustment or a million other things than can and due happen when fishing but, if the person is unable to finish the fight the fish is lost anyway. Take care gang and good luck fishing. Hopefully the rain will start bringing them in.

OffTrack, I do believe that any youth under 10yrs old can be on the boat without registering in the tournament only as an observer. Furthermore, according to my understanding of the rules all youths are eligable for any and all of the money prizes offered in the derby therefore it wouldn't matter if the 63 yr old passed the pole to the 14 yr old. Hope this helps. Take care and good luck fishing.