I have a question about flashers on the riggers... I run 4 riggers on my boat, with no flashers in front of the lures.. I have been doing pretty good, we went 6 for 9 this morning in pultneyville,(Still have to post a report) does it make that much of a diffrence in the amount of fish that you catch. I have a bunch of flashers that I never use and was wondering what you all thought. If everyone does run flashers, what length of leaders do I use from main line to flahers and then flasher to the lure. I run mainly NK lures off the rigger. Thanks for the replies in advance...

woody5442

I run my flashers about 15 to 25 feet behind the ball depending what the fish want. My leader to the flie is 23" from hook bend to loop in the leader which is atteched to the flasher. That said, somedays is a spoon bite and some days it is a flasher bite. Let the fish tell you what they want. I always have a mix down there though.

Richard

That is how I start every day, I will modify as the day progresses. If the fish wseam to want spoons I will end up with three spoons and one flasher/flie, if the fish want flashers than I will have three of them and one spoon. It would have to be a very special day to comit completly to one presentation.

Richard

Now do you run the flashers with flies, and spoons or just the flies, I have oth but I havent heard that many people run flies off of their rigger they mainly run their flies off of wire dipsies and copper, never really thought about running flies like that.

Woody5442

I run my flashers with flies off the riggers. Now dodgers will be run with flies or a spoon sometimes. With the spoon I will run longer leaders. Maybe up to four feet.

Richard

Rich,

Yeh we are doing pretty good but you know just want to try some of those little things that put maybe one or 2 more fish in the boat. For my first season on the lake I have learned so much from this message board. I have also learned that everyone has their own way of doing things.

Woody5442

Woody I wouldn't think of going out without at least one flasher down. The way I usually start off is my deepest rod is an 11" Hotspot Bullfrog & cut bait usually on the outside stbd rigger. The outside port rigger I'll run 5' back & 5' above with an 11" white glow or white lightning Hot Spot & cut bait. The inside rods are staggered exactly the same with spoons, most likely at least one Apex 5.5. Dipsys I'll start off with an 8" flasher & fly, usually a green plaid & green fly & a purple Haze trailing a 5.5 Stinnson Apex. If the meat doesn't work I'll take off the port side & put on an 8" Hot Spot with a fly or another spoon but I never take off the deepest flasher. If it doesn't get the hits it will definitely bring the fish into your spread. Take a look at the Hot Spot website. Their Tips & Tricks shows you how to run flashers either on your rod or just as an attractor attached to the ball.