Outboard Help

JeffM

I am new to outboard motors and wondering how others are operating them in the early spring. Last year I purchased a Tracker with a 150HP Optimax outboard. I am anxious to get out but I am concerned about dewinterizong it so soon. I always owned an I/O before this and I know it was a concern. I thought outboards were a little different and was wondering what others are doing to run early season without freezing/damage concerns. I called the Marina that winterized the motor and they said they may wait a little. I am confused, I thought one of the benefits to an outboard would be that I could run it early or even year round. If anyone with some outboard experience could clarify that would be great.

Thanks!

You can run Outboards all winter. Just make sure.you trim the.motor down when you are done to drain it. Some guys even turn the motor over 1 or 2 cranks just to make sure the water is all out. That is it. You can start fishing anytime.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Thanks for the info that is what I though. I am wondering what the $135 for winterizong was all about. I know you cant fog the new EFI motors so im not sure what was done. Is anyone else winterizing there EFI outboards?

Jeff, I have run Outboards all winter for over 20yrs. EFI is the way to go, especially in the cold weather. I think as long as you run them once a month, there is no need to winterize in any way. I have never winterized any of my outboards. I do exactly as RR told you every time I pull out. If you don't run them and go through fuel, you may run into issues with the fraudulent ethanol.

Now, what IS critical is that you watch your lower gear oil. Change more often than a seasonal boater, and check even more often as any water seeping in can freeze and cause damage. For the last 10 yrs or so I have also used a synthetic blend oil in my 4 Strokes.

That marina gave you poor info, and makes me think they don't know the difference in the different types of motors. Good Luck!

I believe they fog a EFI motor by connecting a portable fuel tank with a mixture of gas and oil and run it till everything gets coated . When you start up you engine after they did this it should smoke for a while until it burns off . They do the same thing for the fuel injected I/O's .

P.S .They also put stabilizer in the mix so injectors and pumps don't gum up .

Actually fogging an efi engine involves no more than getting a spray can of fogging oil and doing the job in one of two ways. Neither of which do you start and run the motor. Very simply just remove the spark plugs and spray about a 3 second shot into the cylinders and with the plugs removed then turn the key and cycle the engine a couple of revolutions. That will protect the upper cylinder area of the motor which is most prone to condensation and corrosion over storage.

The other way is to remove the intake filter and spray the fog into each of the throttle bodies with the throttle open and cranking the engine over with the man overboard "dead man" kill switch lanyard (some engines will not crank) off or the ignition wires removed from the plugs. Have someone assist with the cranking part and as before spray a 3 second shot into the air intake. That will also coat the lower crankcase area in a TWO STROKE ENGINE but is not as critical as the upper cylinders where that is the "dry" combustion part of the engine. FOUR STROKE can be done each way also but in both engines I prefer the spark plug hole application the best as all you really want is the upper cylinder area covered. If you run the engine every couple months or so I wouldn't get concerned about protecting it. But if it is stored for a winter or even for years I would do the fogging, cause ya never know when you will actually get it out and run it again, and the thing will never cross your mind in a year with lifestyle distractions.

Mark.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png