shark downrigger weights

Guest ReelDiel

i have heard good and bad on those depending on conditions. If you are going to drop some money on weights i think these are way better check them out

http://www.ridgebackrattler.com/main.htm

we had great sucess with them this year on all but one occasion i caught more fish then any of my friends out that day these things work great. I know yankee troller ran them also i sure he had the same sucess.

Mike is right. I ran 13# Ridgebacks all season and did very well on them. I thought they tracked great even in the rough stuff when your bouncin around pretty good. If your talking about attraction I had a coho come from 15' down to hit my spoon at 90' down.

I have a pair of 10# chrome. I think they do draw fish to the spread. I have watched lakers in Cayuga come up 50' on the graph to hit a small stinger. I know that they wouldn't do that for just that small spoon.

My friend who fishes the St.Lawrence river in the fall for Muskies said all of his rigger hits came off of those weights. I always thought that if you were dragging a skip salmon in your spread it would scare off, or make other fish weary of your lures? All the flashers, dodgers, spinners, are supposed to imitate other interested fish aren't they?

I also used Plasti-Dip to coat fish downrigger weights. Got it at Home Depot and Lowes also carries it. They didn't have the spray, but had the brush on. I put 3 coats on.

Used the red color :shock: , probably turns brown and then black as it goes deeper in the water column. Also added a little prism tap on the sides for flash. Trout/salmon don't seem to mind the color and I run plugs 6' behind it on Oneida for walleyes so I'm not sure just how much the color really influences the strike.