Anyone replace steering cable on Tracker Pro Guide boat?

I started the project when the weather was nice, but its been on hold a couple weeks now. Its a V-17 with a 90 hp Merc outboard. Even with the old cable disconnected from the steering wheel, i don't see how i can get it out of the steering tube without cutting it in 2. The cable is seized a bit in the steering tube, so i cannot get it to retract enough to make the bend through the access area (i have the back deck and side deck off too). i'm fearful that i may need to loosen or remove the engine. Maybe since the new cable is retracted all the way, it won't be a big deal...

i would welcome any advice from someone who has worked on this model or similar setup before. The teleflex instructions are pretty weak...

Yes, often times you do have to remove the motor to get it at the correct angle, if its not a straight shot from the tube into the hull. Know that doesn't help per se, but you're not missing something obvious.

Thats why I didn't change the cable when I upgraded the helm.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Just finished switching out a cable and I have seen this before, often times you need to loosen or move the engine because there is not enough room or give to get that cable disconnected and out.

I changed it Friday afternoon. It's nice to have a boat that does not steer like a 68' Mack anymore! I have to be better about PM after trips to the big salty. I had to cut the cable 2x to get it out of the steering tube. It is not a straight shot from the tube to the access hole. What i did was "modified" the access port so that the cable can be changed without loosening / removing the motor (i just love cutting holes in my boat)...The more i look at my boat, the more i question some of the design the engineers put into it.

One thing about my boat that really puzzles me is that all of the major electrical lines and cable from the helm to the motor run through a chase along the starboard side of the boat. That area is covered by a removable panel. That panel is mounted to the side of the boat with many screws that have to be driven in the direction of the wires... I can't believe that they are not protected in any way.

I have several other quirky things that i question, but in reviewing the newer models, it appears that they are getting smarter. Mine is an 08'. Anyone else have any gripes about their Pro-Guide?