canadice 4/6

got out today for a couple hours for my friend and I's second attempt at trolling for trout. First time we landed 1 measley laker on a downrigger. Today we landed a couple nice lakers all on a meat rod because we kept donating rigger weights to the bottom of the lake :devil: . Finally think we're starting to get the hang of this trolling deal but still have a lot more to learn. Gonna give it a go again tomorrow afternoon if ya see some kids in an old starcraft that'll be us.

hsrnmw.jpg

one we kept for the grill

Good job. It takes awhile to learn and do well. Still learning myself. Losing ball's suck , but wait until you loose your first probe to. Just remember couple fish I'd better then no fish.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Do you guys use a depth finder? If so I stay about 5 to 10 ft off bottom. Nice to see someone pulling trout out of there. Im more of a hemlock guy but when I go there and ask around everyone usually says they got skunked. Have you been picking up anything besides lakers?

Do you guys use a depth finder? If so I stay about 5 to 10 ft off bottom. Nice to see someone pulling trout out of there. Im more of a hemlock guy but when I go there and ask around everyone usually says they got skunked. Have you been picking up anything besides lakers?

This was our 3rd time out trolling ever, and yes we do use a depth finder. So far only lakers but would like to try for some other species when this wind lets up and we can get out again. Question, can you pick up other species while trolling slow for lakers (1.5ish) or are we better off speeding up a bit to around 2.2 ish so we can still pick up lakers as well as picking up bows and browns perhaps?

pfd's?

Are they required while using the electric motor?

Yup. If you are under power, and in a boat under 21' you need one until May. As for the question about catching things trolling slow, run jointed rapalas, sutton spoons, and kwikfish for other species. We do it trolling lakers on Lake Ontario and catch other species of trout and salmon fishing lakers.

pfd's?

Are they required while using the electric motor?

Yup. If you are under power, and in a boat under 21' you need one until May. As for the question about catching things trolling slow, run jointed rapalas, sutton spoons, and kwikfish for other species. We do it trolling lakers on Lake Ontario and catch other species of trout and salmon fishing lakers.

Thanks for clearing and for the advice Gambler

Does not have to be under power. Under 21 ' could be sail , paddle, motor . They will write you up. My boat is under 21' by 6" and I welcome the law.In the summer if iI have kids onboard that must wear a pfd I also wear one to set a good example. If we tangle a line on the motor or have to go up on the bow in rough water the pfd goes on. I have a relative that has had to do body recoverys and said he has yet to recover a body that had on a pfd on.

Picking up your speed as well as fishing the thermocline which varies between 20 and 30 foot down gives you the best chance at browns and bows. slower is still better for lakers. The average laker in canadice is about half the size of the average laker in hemlock. However the average brown in canadice doubles that in hemlock. Its a matter of preference. Also just figuring out the fish and what they want. Suttons work great off of riggers as do flasher/fly combos. I also like running dipsey divers off the sides with a four inch blue or silver n black rapala to pick fish up. If you want salmon flat lineing a stickbait or spoon can be deadly at times too.

Picking up your speed as well as fishing the thermocline which varies between 20 and 30 foot down gives you the best chance at browns and bows. slower is still better for lakers. The average laker in canadice is about half the size of the average laker in hemlock. However the average brown in canadice doubles that in hemlock. Its a matter of preference. Also just figuring out the fish and what they want. Suttons work great off of riggers as do flasher/fly combos. I also like running dipsey divers off the sides with a four inch blue or silver n black rapala to pick fish up. If you want salmon flat lineing a stickbait or spoon can be deadly at times too.

Thanks for the advice Rippin', do you pick up land locks in either lakes consistently?